Peacock in Suburbia? Strangest story...

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
So I thought I would share this... We currently have one of my peacocks at my home in town for a busted leg, and he is rooming with me upstairs. Today I was downstairs watching a movie when I very distinctly heard a honk. Blu is about the quietest pea ever, he has only honked on one day in the past three weeks, and it was when he was looking out the window honking at a robin on the neighbor's roof.

Curious, I listened closely and sure enough HONK. So I paused the movie and crept upstairs and quietly opened my room door to see if I could catch what he was honking at... only to find him dead asleep in a sunbeam. I said his name and he opened one eye to look at me, and then pointedly put his head back down as if to say he was going to ignore me now.

HONK.

I'm looking at Blu, asleep, and I hear a peacock honking. We are 10 miles into town, you'd have to drive at least 15 minutes to get to anywhere with the land to house a peacock outdoors. But clear as day, there's one somewhere nearby. I haven't laid eyes on it, but it made a fuss calling for nearly an hour earlier today. Too bad I am not home from work tomorrow to see if I can find it!

Last edited:
They turn up in neighborhoods quite a bit around here. A few months ago my parents had 4 peafowl visit their neighbor's house one day, one being solid white, and they have not seen those birds since. Could be a stray, maybe you aren't the only one keeping a peacock in suburbia lol. If you're lucky it was a peacock and it will come back, be friendly with you, and you can lead it into your house.

We used to have some near downtown Raleigh.... I mean deep city. They used to chase the cars near my neighborhood and I knew some mornings while turning at that light to be careful not to hit a peacock!

Well I know a man in Detroit bought a bunch of peacocks a few years ago because he wanted them basically as lawn ornaments... and he just bought them and set them free, and of course they all took off... that was an interesting time. I don't know of anyone nearby who has them, but perhaps someone else's escaped and it's made it this far!

Yeah, with the winters in MI and winter snow cover... I think they would be a lot less likely to survive and thrive on their own than they would further south. I hope you find the honker and let us know what it is! That would be so awesome...

hi,peacocks will remain silent for the first year or 2.,as have mine.
but come the second year!!!,well they get thier voices!!
many things can get them started!!!
i have an avairy of parrots,and when there is a problem with them,well my 2 peacocks respond,with a loud honking!!!!!!
being tame,also adds to the the factor,as mine are silent,but if i get home early,say,8-9 am.
they are fine,but if i leave the house,they will honk all hour long,till they see my return!!!
when i water with hose,they honk,but then fly down off their perch,then see me,and then stop!!!,only to then follow me around,SOOO close ,that they get entangled up with me and the hose!!
gaza

Silent! I haven't gotten mine to be quiet from the moment they hatched XD You must have miracle peas over there if they are quiet!

Back
Top Bottom