Peacock never grow his train

Peafowlssssssss

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 23, 2014
I have this purple peacock since 18 months, the guy who sold me this peacock did not know his exact age but i think he was yearling when i got him, he never grow his train since that time, i believe he is in breeding age now, will he grow his train in the future? if not why?

All my 2013 males has longer trains, most of them hatched after i got this purple male!

This is 2 of my 2013 males, white is 10 months and the bronze is 9 months

Just like how young people grow at different rates, peacocks trains do to. It will come in sooner or later don't worry. How long ago did you get him? It takes unto 3 years sometimes.

Just like how young people grow at different rates, peacocks trains do to. It will come in sooner or later don't worry. How long ago did you get him? It takes unto 3 years sometimes.
I got him 18 months ago, he was looking as same as he looks now, nothing changed since that time. Once someone told me that sometimes peacock will not grow his tail at all and i`m not sure why.

I got him 18 months ago, he was looking as same as he looks now, nothing changed since that time. Once someone told me that sometimes peacock will not grow his tail at all and i`m not sure why.

If a Peacock never grew a train, I would have to think it would be caused by a problem with his hormones. We see pictures of hens who when they get a little older sometimes stop laying eggs and start to grow trains and male colored plumage, this is thought to be caused by hormone imbalances. I would guess a male not growing a train would be caused by the same thing. However, I think he is still too young to give up on him, he may just be slow. Perhaps he didn't get great nutrition when he was younger or he may have had parasites or a disease that just sort of slowed him down a bit.

I would say he is just slower growing. I have had peachicks once that had stunted growth maybe he was in a pen and couldn't compete enough for food and his growth was stunted so now he is behind as far as growing a train.

If a Peacock never grew a train, I would have to think it would be caused by a problem with his hormones. We see pictures of hens who when they get a little older sometimes stop laying eggs and start to grow trains and male colored plumage, this is thought to be caused by hormone imbalances. I would guess a male not growing a train would be caused by the same thing. However, I think he is still too young to give up on him, he may just be slow. Perhaps he didn't get great nutrition when he was younger or he may have had parasites or a disease that just sort of slowed him down a bit.
I`m sure he didn't get great nutrition when was young because the guy who sold me this peacock knows nothing about peafowls, and their pen was so dirty. Also i saw another peacock in his place and it wasn't looking good at all.

By the way he always calling like a normal peacock, also he always trying to mate with some peahens he is penned with, but the hens are still young for mating.

I would say he is just slower growing. I have had peachicks once that had stunted growth maybe he was in a pen and couldn't compete enough for food and his growth was stunted so now he is behind as far as growing a train.
Sadly he still can't compete for food, he is usually scared of most peacocks even the youngster ones. He always hits the fence trying to go out if i was near his pen.

Last edited:
I would say try and hand feed him to get him extra food, but if he is afraid of you that would be tough to do. When I had those peachicks that had stunted growth because of having to compete for food, I would get them in the corner of the pen away from the other birds and I would let them eat meal worms from my hands and feed them all sorts of little treats trying to make sure they got lots of good food.

Maybe you could put something up like a stump that you could put food on top of for him so that he can fly up there and eat without other birds being able to run him off. I have noticed that stumps are popular places for younger birds to eat at because they are up high away from competition and the top is only large enough for one bird to be up there.

We have had five Pea Cocks over the years and just one left, does not let his train grow....he pulls his feathers out and I have seen several of my hens jump up and pull a feather out...could the hens be looking for calcium and does Big Blue have some sort of psychosis? Strange behavior. One Pea hen left and they don't seem to be interested in one another...does this bird mate for life?

Johanna

I would say try and hand feed him to get him extra food, but if he is afraid of you that would be tough to do. When I had those peachicks that had stunted growth because of having to compete for food, I would get them in the corner of the pen away from the other birds and I would let them eat meal worms from my hands and feed them all sorts of little treats trying to make sure they got lots of good food.

Maybe you could put something up like a stump that you could put food on top of for him so that he can fly up there and eat without other birds being able to run him off. I have noticed that stumps are popular places for younger birds to eat at because they are up high away from competition and the top is only large enough for one bird to be up there.

Today i penned him with only one peahen, its a nice idea to putt the food up for him, so even if he likes to stay up he will be able to eat some food.

Are your birds penned or do they free-range? Peafowl don't normally mate for life, but sometimes they do get very attached to a particular peahen or peacock. So has he started doing this since a peahen left? He could have loved her a lot.

Some people have peacocks that like to pull out their own train feathers. DylansMom has a peacock that does this so she could probably give you some better information. I myself haven't had any problems with that and I hope I don't ever have that issue here because it seems very sad.

Maybe there is something going on that really stresses him out? I have no idea I know that sometimes feather picking can be linked to boredom or not enough space like if there are too many peafowl in one pen they may start to feather pick or if there pen is not big enough they might start feather picking. Although if the birds are free-range that would be harder to explain.
Today i penned him with only one peahen, its a nice idea to putt the food up for him, so even if he likes to stay up he will be able to eat some food.
Being with one peahen should probably help a lot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom