Peacocks! In NH

Do you remember how you got the wormer into the peas? Have you ever had a poo sample checked by the vet? What does their poo usually look like?

Can you tell us what you are feeding and what kind of supplements, if any, the hens were getting? What protein level is in your feed?

We never brought the to the vet because there is no vet around here for them. We feed them chicken feed from Agway they have been fine. I don't think it's there feed of worms because we can then if they have worms and the have free ranged before and been fine.

Oh I don't remember what wormer we used. Yes both peahens had been laying.
We have them in a good pen with a nice closed in area and a nice coop and the door gets shut at night.
Kind of important to know what wormer was used... Did you give it orally, or did you put it in the water?

-Kathy

We never brought the to the vet because there is no vet around here for them. We feed them chicken feed from Agway they have been fine. I don't think it's there feed of worms because we can then if they have worms and the have free ranged before and been fine.
Two out of three dead, that's pretty serious. Would be best to consult with a vet.

Here are vet search links:

-Kathy

Thank you so much for the help garden peas.
I will be off for awhile and will be looking for more advice.
@Little Farmer5 , since you also have chickens, you should research a disease called blackhead (histomoniasis). It's a disease that is very deadly to peafowl and turkeys. If I were you, I would get your self some Safeguard liquid for goats and give it orally at 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days. Depending on how much your remaining peacock weighs, that should be 2-3 ml.

There are many posts on lots of forums and Facebook pages that say to use 3 ml (cc) Safeguard per gallon, but that amount is very unlikely to treat any worms. Furthermore, Safeguard is *not* water soluble! For those that don't believe me, read the Safeguard MSDS (material safety datasheet) https://www.pattersonvet.com/msds/078335976

Wazine only treats large roundworms, not cecal worms.

Hope this helps.

-Kathy

I would step up your worming, the ones that died almost certainly died of blackhead which is carried by worms. I lost several birds to it last year and this year have been very militant about keeping worms at bay.

Back
Top Bottom