Peafowl egg swap anyone?

ep.gif

How about legalities? In ND, hatching eggs and chicks are supposed to be from a NPIP source or vet inspected to cross the state line. That will keep me from participating until I get certified, will it affect anyone else?

I've personally applied to the Ill Dept of Ag last June about getting NPIP certified.I was told by the veterinarian in charge that Illinois state budget had only 1 statewide inspector who was coming to do the in site samples.I asked him since all eggs and birds I had purchased came from NPIP flocks and I had all the associated paperwork, could I sell eggs or chicks during the summer.He advised me yes since I had and could show where all my birds came from. This may not be the case for everyone. I still have not gotten a call back for my inspection and it's been 10 months.The biggest threat for any new influenza or disease comes from direct imported stock.But since there are only 3 ports of entry into the USA for live poultry this is covered very well.
I myself felt responsible enough to inquire and become NPIP certified.I am on a long list that I have no control over.And I was told that I could process and move eggs-chicks while waiting to become NPIP.I know many probably have not taken the steps Frosty and myself have done.Yet eggs and chicks are moved all over thru the US Postal service every week that passes by that has no NPIP certification.
The steps I've taken so far and the health of my birds gives me peace of mind in swapping eggs or peachicks.I have several areas I can use to quarantine birds if I swap for anything.Frosty,perhaps someone will have birds-eggs in your state that may interest you in the swap? In all the readings I have done in the other swaps nowhere have I read anyone posting their NPIP status,,or anyone denying a shipment because of non NPIP certification.Once again our Govt has overgrown it's pants size and does not have the ability to carry out many past recommendations.

FBC, our state has a shortage of testers, too. I am going to a one day class with the state ag dept, then I should be able to be certified as a tester. I know MN has classes and folks can get certified there too. Perhaps you could check with your Dept of Ag and see if you could get certified as a tester? Then you could test your own birds and any others that you want to do. If Ill doesn't have anything like that, you might want to encourage them to look at the way MN has it set up. And MN has some of the strictest import laws, they are really serious about all animal health.

Before I send any pea eggs or chicks to anyone, I want my birds tested for mycoplasma. When I got my original pair, it was the fall of their first year. Within days, my male got a swollen sinus which I treated with Tylan. The hen never got it, and the male never had problems again, but when I contacted the seller at the time she said a few of hers had sinus issues too. She offered to take him back, I declined her offer. I just want to make sure he's clean... He did test neg for AI.

Editing to add: the state won't pay us as inspectors, but we can charge anyone that we will be testing and it's up to us to decide how much we want to charge.

Last edited:
I've personally applied to the Ill Dept of Ag last June about getting NPIP certified.I was told by the veterinarian in charge that Illinois state budget had only 1 statewide inspector who was coming to do the in site samples.I asked him since all eggs and birds I had purchased came from NPIP flocks and I had all the associated paperwork, could I sell eggs or chicks during the summer.He advised me yes since I had and could show where all my birds came from. This may not be the case for everyone. I still have not gotten a call back for my inspection and it's been 10 months.The biggest threat for any new influenza or disease comes from direct imported stock.But since there are only 3 ports of entry into the USA for live poultry this is covered very well.
I myself felt responsible enough to inquire and become NPIP certified.I am on a long list that I have no control over.And I was told that I could process and move eggs-chicks while waiting to become NPIP.I know many probably have not taken the steps Frosty and myself have done.Yet eggs and chicks are moved all over thru the US Postal service every week that passes by that has no NPIP certification.
The steps I've taken so far and the health of my birds gives me peace of mind in swapping eggs or peachicks.I have several areas I can use to quarantine birds if I swap for anything.Frosty,perhaps someone will have birds-eggs in your state that may interest you in the swap? In all the readings I have done in the other swaps nowhere have I read anyone posting their NPIP status,,or anyone denying a shipment because of non NPIP certification.Once again our Govt has overgrown it's pants size and does not have the ability to carry out many past recommendations.
I am sorry but i would not rely on NPIP to buy my birds after what i saw going on at 3 different NPIP tested breeders
How do you know that the person you bought from somewhere down the road was purchased from someone that has a certificate but still brings in untested birds which is against the rules.. IMO that certificate is good for shipping and maybe put your mind at rest if you close you flock and work with what you have like i have.. Knowing where your birds are from, and that the breeder is not experiencing losses from something that keeps reoccurring in their birds is the best you can hope for.

What does NPIP testing mean ? I know what it stands for. I had been a tester for years and wondered what people thinks it does for the peafowl people and the reason that peafowl should be tested.. Thanhks for the replys .. George

I love this idea. My problem is I have only one set of peas so when they lay eggs I won't get many. But I do have some chicken eggs could also include. I'm just starting up my peas... I agree though keeping it simple. Some of them swaps are hard to follow.

What does NPIP testing mean ? I know what it stands for. I had been a tester for years and wondered what people thinks it does for the peafowl people and the reason that peafowl should be tested.. Thanhks for the replys .. George
According to ND, NPIP is for all birds. I'm hoping that mycoplasma testing can be included. According to the Canadian food inspection agency:

Pullorum disease is an infectious poultry disease caused by the bacterium Salmonella pullorum. The disease affects mainly young chicks and poults, but can also affect older chickens, game birds, guinea fowl, ostriches, parrots, peafowl, ring doves, sparrows and turkeys.
Fowl typhoid is an infectious poultry disease caused by the bacterium Salmonella gallinarum. The disease affects mainly mature or growing chickens, but has the ability to affect all chickens, ducks, grouse, guinea-fowl, peafowl, pheasants, quail and turkeys.
http://inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter...se/fact-sheet/eng/1344181819473/1344194671356

I do believe that the certification is only good if the breeders are honest, I was just throwing that out there for legal reasons. If I do get my certification, I would rather keep things by the rules or my own cert will only be worth the paper it's printed on. The state is getting really interested in NPIP, I guess because if there is an outbreak and they weren't enforcing it for things like shows (which I think they didn't mess with in the past) they may not get any help or funding from the federal level.

Frosty, I was also thinking about testing my three laying peahens for mycoplasma. I haven't had any sinus issues, but I know the place I got one from did/does (feedstore). To test for it, do you need blood or a swab?

When I took the course in MN it was a blood draw... I think Kuntrygirl had a turkey tested, mybe she could tell for sure?

Back
Top Bottom