Peafowl egg swap anyone?

BTW,at this very moment on E-Bay there is 13 peacock egg auctions,,I know Bigcreek Poultry is NPIP but not one other listing shows any information about their birds coming from NPIP flocks,,yet I don't see any stipulations about no out of state sales in any of those ads.

I inquired about getting my flock certified, but it would be nearly impossible for me. It would cost me 4$ per bird and travel for the inspector (expensive but doable), and have bio secure runs for my chickens (no mingling with wild birds), which I'm not willing to do. I have too many chickens, and I love to let them roam my property. There seems to be a lot of state to state disparity on NPIP certification.

Last edited:
I inquired about getting my flock certified, but it would be nearly impossible for me. It would cost me 4$ per bird and travel for the inspector (expensive but doable), and have bio secure runs for my chickens (no mingling with wild birds), which I'm not willing to do. I have too many chickens, and I love to let them roam my property. There seems to be a lot of state to state disparity on NPIP certification.
Each state sets up their own rules, it isn't one federal program with the same rules for everybody. It interseting that your state doesn't allow free range... MN has some really strick rules (which is why most private breeders don't ship to MN), yet they don't ban free range. They just say that it will be more difficult.

While the antigen is pretty expensive, $4 a bird seems a bit much to me. It's more than $100 for the antigen (not including shipping), that's enough to do 1000 birds. It does have a shelf life, up to 8 months.

Each state sets up their own rules, it isn't one federal program with the same rules for everybody.  It interseting that your state doesn't allow free range... MN has some really strick rules (which is why most private breeders don't ship to MN), yet they don't ban free range.  They just say that it will be more difficult. 

While the antigen is pretty expensive, $4 a bird seems a bit much to me.  It's more than $100 for the antigen (not including shipping), that's enough to do 1000 birds.  It does have a shelf life, up to 8 months. 

Here is the letter they sent.
Hello Christal,

If your goal is NPIP certification we would have to schedule an inspection of your flock. You do need to show that you have a bio-secure area for your birds (no co-mingling with wild birds, rodent control plan and protected feed storage). If you show birds they have to be kept separate from your production flock and you have to have adequate facilities to maintain that separation. I would have to charge you time and mileage to come to your facility. Depending on the size of your flock you have to test every bird annually (<300 birds) or a representative sample for Salmonella and Mycoplasma sp. The cost per bird is approx. $4 for the two. Please feel free to call me at 775-353-3700 to discuss this further. Thank you!

Dr. Anette Rink, DVM, PhD
Animal Disease and Food Safety Laboratory
Nevada Department of Agriculture

From what I've read, you need NPIP to legally ship chicks and eggs across state lines, but that seems weird to me since the states are not all on the same page. It is out of the question for me in NV because I spent quite a bit of money fencing my acreage so my chickens could run free(ish), without fear from coyotes and rouge dogs. I have my peas in a covered run, but little birds still fly in through the 2" netting on the top- so I don't think that would suffice. When they say bio-secure I see little poultry retina scanners and a giant bio-dome.

Maybe we should start this in mid April? Seems to be interest here in this small group and by putting it in the other section many more will see it. It may not really take off until May for the peafowl tho considering checking for fertility,ect.

From what I've read, you need NPIP to legally ship chicks and eggs across state lines, but that seems weird to me since the states are not all on the same page. It is out of the question for me in NV because I spent quite a bit of money fencing my acreage so my chickens could run free(ish), without fear from coyotes and rouge dogs. I have my peas in a covered run, but little birds still fly in through the 2" netting on the top- so I don't think that would suffice. When they say bio-secure I see little poultry retina scanners and a giant bio-dome.
Lol, that's funny! NPIP testing wouldn't work for me, either, but I am going to have my peafowl tested for Mycoplasma (MG and MS). If any of mine test positive, I will not participate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom