Peafowl egg swap anyone?

When I took the course in MN it was a blood draw... I think Kuntrygirl had a turkey tested, mybe she could tell for sure?

Where does one draw blood from poultry? Horses I can do no problem, haven't tried cats/dogs, but I think I could do it if I had to.

From the wing... look at the underside of a wing and you'll see the vein.

When you put it in the test tube, you leave the tube sitting at an angle to give it a greater surface area.

I think it is a good Idea, I won't have Peafowl eggs this year, But I will have Royal Palm Turkey eggs, from a breeder not a hachtery, I'll Also have nice Royal Purple Guinea Eggs, along with chickens and Pheasants.

Best thing to do is keep it simple, and know that things happen, We are not talking big money here so just know there is a chance that the eggs may not make it, your order may get lost and that it may also get damaged, I think the people on the board who post often are not going to try and rip anyone off.

Does anybody on here have Opal Black Shoulder Peafowl? If so, I would be interested in getting into your swap. I have several colors of true Ameraucanas that I raise, wheaten/blue wheaten, black, & lavender. I also have Salmon Faverolles. I would love to trade some chicken eggs in any of these varieties for some peafowl eggs.

I've personally applied to the Ill Dept of Ag last June about getting NPIP certified.I was told by the veterinarian in charge that Illinois state budget had only 1 statewide inspector who was coming to do the in site samples.I asked him since all eggs and birds I had purchased came from NPIP flocks and I had all the associated paperwork, could I sell eggs or chicks during the summer.He advised me yes since I had and could show where all my birds came from. This may not be the case for everyone. I still have not gotten a call back for my inspection and it's been 10 months.The biggest threat for any new influenza or disease comes from direct imported stock.But since there are only 3 ports of entry into the USA for live poultry this is covered very well.
I myself felt responsible enough to inquire and become NPIP certified.I am on a long list that I have no control over.And I was told that I could process and move eggs-chicks while waiting to become NPIP.I know many probably have not taken the steps Frosty and myself have done.Yet eggs and chicks are moved all over thru the US Postal service every week that passes by that has no NPIP certification.
The steps I've taken so far and the health of my birds gives me peace of mind in swapping eggs or peachicks.I have several areas I can use to quarantine birds if I swap for anything.Frosty,perhaps someone will have birds-eggs in your state that may interest you in the swap? In all the readings I have done in the other swaps nowhere have I read anyone posting their NPIP status,,or anyone denying a shipment because of non NPIP certification.Once again our Govt has overgrown it's pants size and does not have the ability to carry out many past recommendations.
Frenchy,
The lady at my Dept of Ag told me that I still had to get the birds tested even though they were NPIP certified in Ohio. She said if something happened and it came back, it would go to Ohio not me in CT. Then she told me that I would need to pay for an exporting and importing license in order to ship eggs or chicks across CT borders LMAO! She said that if I was keeping them for myself and not showing them or shipping them then I do not need NPIP testing. She also said remember this once you get tested then no other birds will be allowed on your property and the state recommends that no outside people enter the area where I keep the birds. If I purchase any new birds I was told to QT them in an area that is easily cleaned and controled like a garage for 30 days and be sure I am cleaning myself completely before touching and entering the main flock, this includes the bottom of my shoes. I said dam when can you do it and she said not for awhile they are swamped, that was in September. LOL Oh and they will test the first 300 birds here in CT per flock so I have less than that so all my birds will be tested she said.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun, but all I would have to trade would be IB eggs.
idunno.gif
IB eggs are good. There are some people who are looking for a new bloodline to bring into theirs so your eggs will do
wink.png

IB eggs are good. There are some people who are looking for a new bloodline to bring into theirs so your eggs will do
wink.png
Thanks, I feel a little better... Five of the six that I hatched last year have white flights, and four have itty, bitty white throat patches, FWIW, lol! I still have no clue what the white means!

Last edited:
Thanks, I feel a little better... Five of the six that I hatched last year have white flights, and four have itty, bitty white throat patches, FWIW, lol! I still have no clue what the white means!
If I am thinking clearly your birds are IB pieds. Throat patches mean the bird carries the pied gene, white flights mean it is split to white and if your bird's wing color looks "frosty" or a light gray color and sometimes has a few white feathers it is white eye.
In other words if you took your male with white flights and a hen with white flights bred them you would get these:

India Blue split White to India Blue split White produces 25% White; 50% India Blue split White and 25% India Blue

The eggs come from your pair or did you by the eggs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom