Peafowl Medications

Can I rule out Blackhead disease since the liver was completely clean? What other diseases effect the liver with spots or holes as I can rule them out also.
You can probably rule out blackhead, though I did hear about one case where the liver was clean. Coccidiosis can affect different parts of the intestines, which is why it's important to take a close look at them.

So it seems the problem is growing, one dead hen of unknown causes ? I have another hen that just laied a soft shelled egg and is acting odd just like the the hen that b4 she died she did this same stuff about a week ago and then died, so what should I be looking for and how do I treat what ever is going on?

Hi Izigg. Sorry to hear of your sick birds. Hope you are able to get a handle on it. I raise many goats and one thing known in the goat world is that when you walk into your barn and find several goats down, either dead or dying, you can forget about disease as poisoning is the culprit. Either something they ate or something in the water they drank. For you losing several birds at the same time you should also look at poisoning. Check closely for moldy feed, grass that has been sprayed with weed killer, water that may contain a fungus such as pond water containing poisonous algae. Disease may be the culprit but also any form of poisoning should be considered. Wishing you the best. FC

Would this coccidiosis effect their egg laying and cause soft shell eggs, because for all practical purposes they should be laying good eggs and were all just last week except for the one that just died? Now the hen tonight I watched lay a soft shell broken egg and she went to bed early which is what the dead hen started doing which I just thought was a strain from laying soft shell eggs but obviously it is not and is a potential threat for the rest of the birds. I had collected over 2 dozen eggs prior to this out break if that what it is?

If this all started a week ago and I missed its beginning would that be better signs of coccidiosis or a respiratory ? We had a lot of rain a week ago and worms were all over Im sure they got a few and she being one of the dominant females outside first gets her fill first. Im reading symptoms on both coccidiosis and blackhead but they both seem to have the same symptoms.???? I think whatever killed the hen took a week or so to do it ? So perhaps I got a few days hopefully to figure this out b4 I lose another? Im going to try and get a vet appointment asap however time maybe a factor so getting them meds tomorrow and feeding them with it will be a must. Would Safegaurd be my best choice to med them with now, in the past I mixed a large bucket of sunflower seeds dosed my Safegaurd and they ate it all up no problelms , they love sunflowers. I also put it in their canteloup pieces and guts and they ate also. Tried scrambled eggs they didnt all go for that at all and only 2 ate it that time.

Im in Pickford MI near Sault Saint Marie , I think I lost a post or something..I took fecal samples to a vet I found in Sault Saint Marie and tested positive for coccidiosis in all the birds remaining which is 3 females 2 yrs old and 1 male 6yrs old. Have started them on Corid mixed in their water. Upon returning to treat the birds I noticed the one female with the broken toes had moved which I though was a good sign until I seen her try and walk and upon further exaimining I have now found her leg has been broken all along in the first leg bone surrounded by muscle and thus being just before 5pm on a fri cant not find any vets at all as they are now gone for the weekend but I could drive an hour in the morning to pick up a splint that perhaps i should try and make myself instead of waiting??? Best recommendation for splinting a birds leg and should I now take off the splinted toes already set 4 days ago going on 5??????

When non-veterinary people, myself included, try splining fractures we often do more harm than good. From what I know, the joints above and below the fracture need to be immobilized. Attached is an avian splinting manual. @BantyChooks , any advice?

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Her leg has turned green all the way up if u can see the picture from where it starts or has spread to. I dont think this is normal and may los another bird . After feeling her leg again I couldnt find any breaks so Im real confused as I swear I felt a break earlier. Im just freaking out anymore especialy with what looks like gang green has set in but how ? This will kill her most likely in a few days Im guessing there is nothing that can be done short of amputation of her leg ?

Attachments

• 0602172023a.jpg
    0602172023a.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 0602172023b.jpg
    0602172023b.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 8
Her leg has turned green all the way up if u can see the picture from where it starts or has spread to. I dont think this is normal and may los another bird . After feeling her leg again I couldnt find any breaks so Im real confused as I swear I felt a break earlier. Im just freaking out anymore especialy with what looks like gang green has set in but how ? This will kill her most likely in a few days Im guessing there is nothing that can be done short of amputation of her leg ?
Fear not, the green is *normal*. Can you very gently pluck some feathers or wet the feathers so we can see more or her leg?

"The first step in splinting this cockatiel fracture is to remove all the feathers over the fracture site. Plucking them allows them to grow back faster compared to cutting them. You can see the bruising that is apparent on this birds leg directly over the fracture. Birds routinely show bruising of many colors, which is sometimes misinterpreted as gangrene by inexperienced people."

Source:
http://www.lbah.com/word/avian/fractured-bird-leg/

Back
Top Bottom