Peafowl Tips?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by fuzzyfeathers, Jan 30, 2013.

1. fuzzyfeathers

fuzzyfeathers New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Im starting to try and raise peafowl now that im experienced with my pretty silver laced wynadotte girls. Any tips on where to get some or how to take care of them? Ive heard of Legg's peafowl farm-but is it a reliable source to buy from?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. fuzzyfeathers

fuzzyfeathers New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks ive found so much info already in the past few days! Do you have any peafowl yourself or know of any good hatcheries that supply them?

4. fuzzyfeathers

fuzzyfeathers New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks ive found so much info already in the past few days! Do you have any peafowl yourself or know of any good hatcheries that supply them?

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I don't know where you are from, but a really good start is to find people in your area that have peas, talk to them. Go to poultry events in your area and get to know the people, not only will they be a good source for chicks, but advice as well.

6. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Also look on Craigslist! You might find some very close by! I ordered a hen from leggs and everything went well but shipping is pricey so local is better also you can see them before you buy them!

7. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
  8. fuzzyfeathers

fuzzyfeathers New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Wow thanks for the link! Im in kansas and the upa is giving a convention later in cincinati, but i dont think i am qualified to attend it. But there will always be many more other events! I found many good breeders and links in the directories and im in the process of contacting them and checking them out! A friend recommended leggs and I just wanted to make sure it was a reputable source. Thanks for all your help everybody! Though I am always still open to tips and advice!

9. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes, Leggs is a good source. I inquired about 2012 hatch purple BS hens, but they didn't have any available, maybe next year. Look up and see if there are any poultry or/and gamebird clubs in your state, They usually will have a members directory. They hold show and swaps a couple of times a year ( or at least Michigan does) its a good place to meet people and ask about what they have available.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  10. fuzzyfeathers

fuzzyfeathers New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    I googled some poultry and other gamebird shows and swaps and found several in Sedalia and Cape Girardeau, MO. I probably could drive down there since im right on the border of kansas. Theres also this building near me that hosts monthly exhibitions and swaps of various things. There was recently a reptile expo, and now FINALLY a gamebird expo is coming up. Dont know if theyll have peafowl but im excited!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by