peahen adopting us

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by eggbeater, Oct 5, 2009.

1. eggbeater

eggbeater New Egg

Oct 5, 2009
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    We havehad 10 back yard chickens since spring. Recently after returning from a trip to Spokane we noticed a peahen in the yard lurking around the chicken coop & feeder. She seems young and returnes daily. We have only seen the one peahen, her neck is blue and she honks- like honk honk... She is eating our laying mash - do you think shee will layeggs?

2. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I'd corral her into the pen and keep her, I wish one would just show up at my house [​IMG]

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    No dont think she will lay, as peahens have green neck color, blue neck that a male

4. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    If her neck is blue, the she is probably a he. We got our first pea this way. She took up with our chickens and never left, even tho she free ranged for about a year. We got her a dude, and they now have three young ones. They are great birds to have around and only lay a few eggs each year. Post a pic so we can see what you got!

5. eggbeater

eggbeater New Egg

Oct 5, 2009

I will try to upload a photo

6. eggbeater

eggbeater New Egg

Oct 5, 2009
    [​IMG]/img]
    Well here is one of the photos. I'm not good at thi so I will put a second photo on another post.. Thanks for your patients...[​IMG][​IMG]

7. eggbeater

eggbeater New Egg

Oct 5, 2009
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]/img]
    Second photo, well now I am learning more about peafowl and tec posts.. What do ya thnk a he or she?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  8. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow I wish a peahen would come live with me [​IMG] very pretty
    sorry I am no help though with sexing them [​IMG]

9. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    Congratulations. You have an india blue pea hen. She looks pure.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  10. eggbeater

eggbeater New Egg

Oct 5, 2009
    [​IMG][/URL]/img]
    [​IMG][​IMG] Thanks for the ID on the fowl she comes by daily but I'm wondering if she is part of a neighbors peaflock. The funny part is she showed up after our trip to Spokane Wa where we went to the "Peacock Lounge" for a drink at the Davenport Hotel. That same day our daugfghter told us that the peahen showed up. Prior to that we hav not seen any peafowl around ... spookey...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by