Peahen eggs not hatching.

Kathleen Leahy

Hatching
May 26, 2020
A peahen has adopted us, and is now sitting on 6 eggs. She has been sitting on them for nearly 40 days and still no babies. I am ignorant about the peahen physiology, but seems a very long time. What could be the problem? thanks.

I'm assuming you already had a peacock or else the eggs wouldn't be fertile. What color is the hen? Charcoal hens are sterile.

At forty days, the eggs are not viable. Eggs hatch in 28 eggs, maybe go a couple days longer, but 40 days is far too long for them to be alive still.

Aside from that, I would candle the eggs to see if they were ever fertile - maybe your peacock isn't getting the job done.

I'm assuming you already had a peacock or else the eggs wouldn't be fertile. What color is the hen? Charcoal hens are sterile.

At forty days, the eggs are not viable. Eggs hatch in 28 eggs, maybe go a couple days longer, but 40 days is far too long for them to be alive still.

Aside from that, I would candle the eggs to see if they were ever fertile - maybe your peacock isn't getting the job done.
Not sure if there is a peacock in the area. We live in the country, and the hen just showed up and never left. If they are not fertile, should I just remove from her nest? She is being very diligent about nest sitting. Now I am sad.

Not sure if there is a peacock in the area. We live in the country, and the hen just showed up and never left. If they are not fertile, should I just remove from her nest? She is being very diligent about nest sitting. Now I am sad.

Yes, destroy her nest. Sitting is hard on them and she shouldn't keep sitting with no chances of hatching anything.

Or, you could see if you could source some day old peachicks locally (or order them from a place like Leggs Peafowl) that you could give her to raise. You'd want to slide them under her at night and take her eggs away.

Yes, destroy her nest. Sitting is hard on them and she shouldn't keep sitting with no chances of hatching anything.

Or, you could see if you could source some day old peachicks locally (or order them from a place like Leggs Peafowl) that you could give her to raise. You'd want to slide them under her at night and take her eggs away.
Thanks to all who gave me such good advice! Mama hen in mourning.

Back
Top Bottom