Peahens "dropping" eggs - help?

LedgeWoods

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Midwest
I have a pair of India Blue peahens who have started off the laying season by laying the first 3 eggs when they are perched on a roost...splat. Last year I had a couple splats, but well over 25 eggs were laid in a nice quiet nesting area. Going to put a fake egg in the nesting area to encourage nesting there. Any other suggestions? ANyone else see this behavior? Is it relatively common? Thanks!!

There's a pretty large area to cover under their roost bars...but may have to resort to adding that cushion. I did get one egg yesterday that she managed to lay while on the ground anyway. Looks like one of them is finally rooting around in their nesting area so hopefully they are figuring it out.

Everywhere .... even in China!
We understand nothing ... but then... we understand everything!
lau.gif

.... rice bran!

0.jpg

I have a pair of India Blue peahens who have started off the laying season by laying the first 3 eggs when they are perched on a roost...splat. Last year I had a couple splats, but well over 25 eggs were laid in a nice quiet nesting area. Going to put a fake egg in the nesting area to encourage nesting there. Any other suggestions? ANyone else see this behavior? Is it relatively common? Thanks!!

I had a hen like that once, I even tried to remove the perches. She just couldnt get it together at first. It took her until the 2d clutch and me yelling daily "cull" "cull" and then she figured it out.

Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom