Pear butter. Questions. Help

Yes, sugar IS a preservative. I make dozens of kinds of fruit preserves every year. The ones I make with reduced sugar have a reduced shelf life of 6 months instead of 12. They also don't maintain their color well. But for eating, the reduced sugar is superior. Instead of tasting like fruit-flavored sugar, they taste like actual fruit. We just use up these varieties first.

Can we see pictures of the pears? Did you say they were round like an Asian pair?

I've always left the lid on the crockpot when making apple butter, but have never tried pear butter.

I make pear sauce. I cut the pears into quarters and core them then cook them down and add sugar and cinnamon to taste toward the end of cooking. I put them through a food mill to get the skins out. I also added a little lemon juice but don’t think you need to to can it safely.
If you have a small amount you can freeze it too.
I think butter is just cooked down sauce, yeah? Pear sauce is just divine and I’ll bet your pear butter is too! So much better than apple stuff!

Can we see pictures of the pears? Did you say they were round like an Asian pair?
I've always left the lid on the crockpot when making apple butter, but have never tried pear butter.
Not round like Asian pears. Definite pear shaped, but no clear shoulder definition. Just goes from fat on the bottom to kinda fat on top (kinda like me). No picture. Thought I took one, but its not there. I think I may have a couple of bad ones left on the tree that I can at least get a representative picture of tomorrow.
I will put the lid on the crockpot before bed. Im just the impatient type, and I want it to reduce to a paste as quick as possible.

Yes, sugar IS a preservative. I make dozens of kinds of fruit preserves every year. The ones I make with reduced sugar have a reduced shelf life of 6 months instead of 12. They also don't maintain their color well. But for eating, the reduced sugar is superior. Instead of tasting like fruit-flavored sugar, they taste like actual fruit. We just use up these varieties first.
There ya go, @ValerieJ . You were right...about preservative AND color. Thanks Uff Da

Back
Top Bottom