Pearl Star Leghorns

Pics
Question:. The girl on the left always has an enlarged crop. It's soft, though. Any suggestions for why? She was a very sickly baby and nearly died twice. Kept having diarrhea and getting pasty butt. Didn't know if that info. might help explain her weird lopsided chest.
Her crop looks "Pendulous". It could turn sour. For a chicken that young, I would work on getting that corrected now to see if the crop will go back to normal size.
Is she still inside or have light all night?
I would check her crop at night, then re-check first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks (after she has slept in the dark all night). If the crop is still full then - I would treat for sour crop and consider making a bra as well, so you can get the crop to empty. Crop issues can take a while to resolve so just keep working at it.
I would avoid giving her things like scratch, grass, seeds, etc. until this is resolved. Have her eating her normal feed. A treat of eggs or something "soft" would be better. Make grit available free choice.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hey all! Thanks for all the info! Appreciate it. I actually called the hatchery (Townline Hatchery here in MI) - this is what they said. The breeding information that is posted is correct. The actual breeders are from the Czech Republic and when Townline gets them (eggs for incubation), the breeders assign them a number (instead of name). So, Townline came up with this name. When I asked why Leghorn, they said due to it NOT laying brown eggs they wanted to put Leghorn in there to let people know - no brown eggs - eggs to be cream off white. Hope this helps! Thanks again for all the info! I did get 3 of these chicks and will post back late this summer/fall how well they are doing at the time.
I cant wait to see photos of yours. I have one that is 3 weeks old. It’s like a christmas present every day how much they change!

I cant wait to see photos of yours. I have one that is 3 weeks old. It’s like a christmas present every day how much they change!
Pic 1 - 2 ish weeks old
Pic 2 - 4 ish weeks old
Pic 3 - 9 ish weeks old
Pic 4 - 13 ish weeks old

Attachments

• 54BEF827-2350-4BBE-A7F6-78B2643885BB.jpeg
    54BEF827-2350-4BBE-A7F6-78B2643885BB.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 6EAB76F5-C65E-4AA5-9233-6C2B3E6FC0D1.jpeg
    6EAB76F5-C65E-4AA5-9233-6C2B3E6FC0D1.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 4D431BC8-35FE-41E2-8BC1-FBC154DC4201.jpeg
    4D431BC8-35FE-41E2-8BC1-FBC154DC4201.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 47A4C2EE-E6C0-4BF7-B765-56AEAFA92ECD.jpeg
    47A4C2EE-E6C0-4BF7-B765-56AEAFA92ECD.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 94
:lol: Love it!
The descriptions are interesting on that website. I do see they have a few "crosses"? from Czech Republic. I don't think I've every really looked at their birds much since minimum order is what 15? That's too many for me to order at a time. I wouldn't mind trying out some of those Plymouth Blue Rocks!
Hi there and I have both a pearl leghorn and plymouth blue rock!! I also have a white leghorn, olive Egger and Americana. This is my first experience as a chick mom and they are one month old today. I got them at the local feed store and those gals were not help at all. I wanted pullets but think i may have several cockerels in the mix which makes me sad. All of these birds are from townline hatchery so i hope this helps. Also, if anyone can take a crack at the sex of these littles, I would appreciate it!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Hi there and I have both a pearl leghorn and plymouth blue rock!! I also have a white leghorn, olive Egger and Americana. This is my first experience as a chick mom and they are one month old today. I got them at the local feed store and those gals were not help at all. I wanted pullets but think i may have several cockerels in the mix which makes me sad. All of these birds are from townline hatchery so i hope this helps. Also, if anyone can take a crack at the sex of these littles, I would appreciate it!!
I’m not seeing any obvious signs of boys there.

They may be great chickens but I think it is wrong to call them Leghorns. Just identify what color eggs they lay!
I bought this breed from tractor supply this year. They are around 19 weeks old now. They are a curious and friendly bird. They love following you around and stand up quite well to the older birds in the flock - of course there is some pecking going on. Not laying yet, but one squatted the other day and the combs are getting pretty red. Can’t wait to see the color of the egg. Maybe it’ll look like the buff orp egg? We’ll see

I bought this breed from tractor supply this year. They are around 19 weeks old now. They are a curious and friendly bird. They love following you around and stand up quite well to the older birds in the flock - of course there is some pecking going on. Not laying yet, but one squatted the other day and the combs are getting pretty red. Can’t wait to see the color of the egg. Maybe it’ll look like the buff orp egg? We’ll see
Mine started laying a few days ago - light creamish white. Very pretty egg.

Back
Top Bottom