Pearl Star Leghorns

If anyone is actually curious about the true mix/origin of these birds, here’s the English language page of the Czech hatchery that developed these Dominant Brown D392

Townline even uses pics directly from Dominant. It looks like a lot of US hatcheries have been importing Dominant CZ’s breeding stock - good layers/dual purpose that are also auto-sexing, also selecting for shell colors. In the states, you guys get goofy names like “Pearl Star” “mystic marans” “sapphire gem” and we in Europe get the original names or even just the number or eggshell color - “Dominant Blue” “Dark shell” “Green shell” (Dominant CZ’s green egger which I would like to get my hands on)

Breeders here in Poland usually have to specify that they breed and sell TRUE French Marans because “Dark Shell” is on the market, and is technically a hybrid selected for egg production and shell color. I have bought regular eggs from a store with Marans-dark eggshells, most likely from a farm full of “Dark shell/mystic marans”

If anyone is actually curious about the true mix/origin of these birds, here’s the English language page of the Czech hatchery that developed these Dominant Brown D392

Townline even uses pics directly from Dominant. It looks like a lot of US hatcheries have been importing Dominant CZ’s breeding stock - good layers/dual purpose that are also auto-sexing, also selecting for shell colors. In the states, you guys get goofy names like “Pearl Star” “mystic marans” “sapphire gem” and we in Europe get the original names or even just the number or eggshell color - “Dominant Blue” “Dark shell” “Green shell” (Dominant CZ’s green egger which I would like to get my hands on)

Breeders here in Poland usually have to specify that they breed and sell TRUE French Marans because “Dark Shell” is on the market, and is technically a hybrid selected for egg production and shell color. I have bought regular eggs from a store with Marans-dark eggshells, most likely from a farm full of “Dark shell/mystic marans”
Do you know if these will breed true?

Most feed stores, order from a hatchery - ask them where the got the chicks.
Towline Hatchery has "Pearl Star Leghorns" which is a cross between Partridge Rocks and Sussex. https://townlinehatchery.com/product/pearl-star-leghorn/
I got them last year on clearance at TSC buy 4 get 4 free.i had no idea what they were. They started laying in September and haven't stopped. They are a little flighty, and one that crows and lays eggs

I know this thread isn't that busy but I figured I'd share a picture of my Pearl Star. I got her at Rural King (from Townline Hatchery) about 2 years ago. She lays a large or extra large cream colored egg a few times a week. DSC_0780(2).jpg

Last edited:
I had to put one of my pearl stars down a few weeks ago. She was really sick, I'm not sure what was wrong. Just not eating, very weak, and smelled like death. Poor thing was miserable. She was a very good layer too. I thought she hadn't laid for a long time but I haven't gotten the extra large light brown egg since she passed so I have to assume that was from her

Back
Top Bottom