pecked/picked feathers....(pic added)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by danamillette, Oct 1, 2008.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    When feathers get pecked/picked off of a hens back, they do not grow back until they molt?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    You know....I dunno...bump!

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    no...my hens that went broody, grew back their feathers when away from the roo.

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My hens did not grow them back until late August their molt. It was ugly! I had a chicken saddle on the worst one. The boys have left them alone and they look great. Seems like the understand the girls need feathers for the winter! They still are not laying though!

5. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    If a feather is actually pulled out by the root, it can grow back without a full molt. If the feather is simply damaged, it will not be replaced by a new feather until molt.

6. danamillette

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    ok, I ask because a adopted a great bunch of girls. The three older ones I believe are about 1 year and 4 months. 2 had bare patches on their back from a rooster.( I don not have any roosters. They layed for about the first week then quit. Pretty sure due to molting. Well, Lilly an Austrolorpe(sp) has had quite a busy week growing in new purple quills. I am wondering if this means she is almost thru her molt?
    Thanks as always!

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    When Pooh got stitched back up (after a run-in with my dogs) the vet plucked an area about the size of your palm. They have all grown right back in and started to do so fairly quickly. She hasn't done a hard molt yet.
    So I guess, yes they can?
    Do you have any pictures? We love pics! [​IMG]

8. danamillette

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    OK, giving the picture thing a try. Here is the girl I am wondering about. Do you think she quit laying because she is growing all these new feathers on her head and her back?

[​IMG]

9. danamillette

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    test

10. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Good pic! She has such pretty purples and blues!

There could be a myriad reasons she's not laying... but I don't think regrowing picked feathers is one of them. Usually it's a full molt that stops egg production.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by