Pecking Order Fighting.

4hLuvers

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Bay Area CA
hi all!

so in the process of integrating some new banties some fighting broke out. when this happens should you try and pull the chickens apart of just grit your teeth and wait it out?? Two of the hens really went at it the other day and my sister started freaking out
ep.gif
and managed to pull her new chicken away from the other one.

thanks everyone!

They need to have this battle because of the pecking order. Let them do their thing and most of the time they will handle this them self.
I mix my chickens all the time with new comers and they settle it pretty fast without my interference.
Good luck

Quote:
Yup I agree everything that i've read says unless there is actual blood you need to let them go, or they may never get their pecking order right!

hello all,
I'm new to this forum. I have 2 silver seabrights and one buff o. I've had the buff several months longer. one of the seabrights is kind of aggressive. one of the seabrights is not laying eggs. I think it might be a rooster. I separated it from the other because they haven't layed an egg in 5 days. the buff has lost feathers on her head. any thoughts. thanks

Quote:
Welcome to BYC!
First off, you can post a pic of the suspected roo in the what breed/gender category and I'm sure someone will be able to tell you for sure. Here's how to post pics:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

Another hint. It's best to start a new thread to ask a question, rather than adding it to someone else's thread. When you add it to someone else's the questions frequently get overlooked and it's also consider bad form, i.e., hijacking.
Here's how to start your own thread. First, pick the category that seems most appropriate for your question. Example: Feed questions go in the feeding/watering category. Flock management questions in the managing your flock category. Click on that category. At the top of the page, on the right hand side, you will see a yellow button that says "post new topic". Click on that. You will be taken to a page with a blank space under the word "subject". This is where you put into a few words your question. Try to be as specific as possible with your question. Example: "My hen is wheezing" will get you alot more responses than a title that just says "Help!".
Below that is a blank space with the header "message". This is where you ask your question. When you are finished, click on "preview". If everything looks good, click "submit"; otherwise you can fix any mistakes and then hit submit.
Good luck to you and stick around. I'm sure you'll like it here.
smile.png

Please note: You won't see the "Post new topic" button if you are already on a thread, like this one. Only at the top of each main category.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom