PEEPS ~ 2014 Projects ~ All Breeds !!!

This year I have quite a large breeding program.
I have the following:
1 pen of red golden pheasants
1 pen of yellow golden pheasants
1 pen of red leg partridge
A group of cherry valley ducks( english equivelant of metzer layers)
Finally I will be breeding from 2 leghorn based hybrids to a white cockerel that I hatched this year. I am not sure what breed he is but I think he is rhode island white, welsummer, sussex and a few other breeds in their. I hope to be able to get them to breed true so I can have a kind of utility leghorn.

I must say Iam not too interested in pure domstic fowl. I like my crosses and just about my whole flock is composed of them. How about trying to standardise your lemon brahmas into a new breed?

We will see what my chicks come out like, would be nice if I could condense a color, and confirmation. If I could get like hens & roos & they hatch out the same.....
I have chatted in pm's to a few other peeps here on BYC who are doing "projects" and I have even hatched some of them, and let them know the outcome after I raised them.

This year I have quite a large breeding program.
I have the following:
1 pen of red golden pheasants
1 pen of yellow golden pheasants
1 pen of red leg partridge
A group of cherry valley ducks( english equivelant of metzer layers)
Finally I will be breeding from 2 leghorn based hybrids to a white cockerel that I hatched this year. I am not sure what breed he is but I think he is rhode island white, welsummer, sussex and a few other breeds in their. I hope to be able to get them to breed true so I can have a kind of utility leghorn.
Do you have any pics of your birds?

I tried pheasants last year but did not have much success in shipped eggs & they are spendy YIKES !

I have hatched alot of Chukars, regular coturnix quail, and a couple ring neck pheasants. But that it for gamebirds.

I love the partridges & have been drooling over them for awhile now.

What are the leghorn hybrids??? I would like to see a pic of your White Cockerel ! Sounds very promising. I like all my birds to be what I call multi-purpose, basically I guess what you call utility. I want them to lay well & be beefy (whether they are bantam or large fowl)

I raise all my own meat, so instead of having "meat chickens" and "fancy chickens" & keeping them seperate and such ~
I would love to have a breed that does both.

I cant get any photos due to an annoying phone but the cockerel looks very much like a rhode island white and like a white welsummer. My plan is to breed him with the leghorns and cross one of the offspring back to the leghorns and see what I get. As for the gamebirds thats what i will be concentrating this year. I am looking forward to see how rthe red legs do. I was wondering if you have red legs in the usa. They are very similair to chukar but more pretty.

I have been looking at these

40+ eggs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Partridge-Hatching-Eggs-Pure-French-Red-Legs-/321291258308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ace7389c4

Well keep us updated on your hatches

I just candled my first 6 eggs gathered from my Lahman Laced Eggs (Just a pun on words)
lol.png

ALL 6 ARE GROWING !
woot.gif

Setting another 6 today !

First will go into LD around the 17th of January !
fl.gif

Personally I prefer red legs to chukar. I think they are quite pretty in the face. I may also be getting some english partridge eggs this year which will add to my breeding project.

Following this thread! I do not have an incubator, nor are any of my very first ever chickens laying yet, but I'll just hang back and lurk look at the pretty pictures
cool.png

welcome,when did you get your new birds?
What breeds are they?
Hope you enjoy your new birds

Following this thread! I do not have an incubator, nor are any of my very first ever chickens laying yet, but I'll just hang back and lurk look at the pretty pictures
cool.png

Do you have a rooster to go with your hens? Are you a City Chickener or a Country Chickener? Please post pics!

I hope to have baby chick pics by the 20th ! And setting another 6 today.
fl.gif
for "Laced Lahman's" as I am calling my project.

Max ~ Are the red legs bigger than a common Chukar ~ Can they cross? I raised my chukar for tasty little BBQ morsels.
I do not know much about gamebirds ~ But I see you have a few types ~ do they only mate with alike/same breed/color?
How many birds do you have in each breeding pen? What are your intention in breeding them?
How much do eggs go for where you are?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom