Thanks for the info. But I’m no longer hatching eggs or getting chicks. I always end up with roosters then grow attached and can’t get rid of them.
If you have silkies you have great opportunities to let them hatch some eggs. From March till July is a great tine for natual breeding.
It might be easier to buy eggs than a pullet?
And you can order eggs from other countries too. I found info of a breeder in Germany and Belgium on a Dutch site:
https://www.cochin.nl/fokkers-internationaal
There are a more breeders in the Netherlands, easy to find on Marktplaats:
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/dieren...285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr
The ones who sell chicks usually sell eggs too if you ask.

Hi guys! I'm from italy and @aart suggest maybe here thare is someone that can help me!
I'm searching a chicken feeding avaible even in Italy, or deliverable in italy...
Ok, i need a feed that is:
- Organic
- OMG free
- without calcium addition
(my hens aren't laying at the moment...they'll start soon i think, they're about 8-9 months old and my 6 ys old hen last year layed many eggs)
Someone in this forum told be that calcium addition without laying could be dangerous and made problems...so i'd like to have, for some time, no addition.
Do you know some brands? oh, even raw materials are good :) :) :)
thank you 😉
Sorry, I don't know about Italy. I buy organic feed for chickens in one of the general stores for home-farming, gardeners and pet-owners. Only a block away from where I live there is such a store

They have a chicken crumble with only 2% calcium. And a chicken mix with 2.5% calcium This amount of calcium is not harmful for adult not-laying chickens. If you can buy a grain mix for supplementally feeding and youre chickens can free range this will work too. Only in winter you best give some extra high proteïne feed like mealworms.

I suppose you have stores for live stock owners in Italy too.

Thanks for the info. But I’m no longer hatching eggs or getting chicks. I always end up with roosters then grow attached and can’t get rid of them.
Sorry yo hear about you’re hatching experiences. Probably I have bern lucky so far.

When I bought chicks I made an agreement with the breeder I could return the cockerels. He also sold sexed leghorn-like layers. And gave my bantams for free to buyers to protect the flock.

Later I let my hens hatch eggs and had a lot of roosters too over the years (> 50%). All together 8 cockerels (2015/2018/2019). I kept the 6 pullets.

I could rehome all cockerels. With the pure bred I made a few breeders happy. The mixed bantams found a new home after putting an add on ‘marktplaats’.

I was wrong!! YAY :wee
I have at least 2 hens, 3 roosters and one I don't know yet. It wasn't clear. I am so happy!
In a week I have more chicks hatching. Last night I placed 12 more eggs from my second breeding group into the incubator. It just sucks, the immunization date is not every three weeks. This time it is only 2 weeks from the last one. It does take more planing than I thought. Also making sure you have enough eggs from one breeding group...my second group is just now really laying.
The little ones moved to the coop Friday. I put their heating plate into a large box. This traps a little more heat for them. It was rather cold on Friday for them. At first I thought I might have made a mistake. All cuddled up and not curious about the new place at all. But now they are all over the place. Looking in awe at the big chickens. So cute!

I started out just wanting silkies. But I could only find eggs, chicks, or pullets with a rooster. So I got 4 chicks, 3 ended up being roosters. They all got along so I kept them all and starting buying pullets of other breeds I could find to keep the roosters happy. Most of my hens go broody often so I decided to hatch some eggs. Well only 2 hatched and 1 was a rooster. So I’m done with hatching or chicks. But can’t find silkies or bantam Cochin pullets. Just eggs or chicks or with a rooster. But I still have 1 silkie hen. But no Cochin. I’m still looking though
Sorry yo hear about you’re hatching experiences. Probably I have bern lucky so far.

When I bought chicks I made an agreement with the breeder I could return the cockerels. He also sold sexed leghorn-like layers. And gave my bantams for free to buyers to protect the flock.

Later I let my hens hatch eggs and had a lot of roosters too over the years (> 50%). All together 8 cockerels (2015/2018/2019). I kept the 6 pullets.

I could rehome all cockerels. With the pure bred I made a few breeders happy. The mixed bantams found a new home after putting an add on ‘marktplaats’.

Good mornung!
I picked this little fella off the floor and held him in my open hand. That's when he decited that he prefered the shoulder.
The other picture is the gang feeding.
Tomorrow is lockdown for 42 eggs...

Attachments

• 20200303_063220.jpg
    20200303_063220.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200303_062509.jpg
    20200303_062509.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom