Yesterday evening my youngest chicken didn't come home to roost inside the coop. I saw her on the roof of the coop not long before closing time. A thorough search around the coop area had no success. Probably :fl she found a ‘nice’ place outside in the trees or bushes.
I hope so!! :fl:fl Let us know @BDutch

@Papa John59 at least she made herself known that she was out there! Actually that is really sweet! And yes, chickens provide a lot of comical relief. I could watch them for hours.

A few weeks ago I had a feeling that something was going wrong with my chickens... it just didn't seem right. So I had their poop tested at the animal clinic at the University of Giessen. And sure enough... they found parasites. They need to be de-wormed... and they had coccidia. The adults can handle the coccidia but not the young.
Well, if I wanted medication I would have had to go to Giessen with some chickens... they need to "see" them. So I thought I would go thru a local vet. Only that vet ordered medication that when given I would not be able to eat the eggs or the chicken. So no go. So I decited to go thru Giessen anyways. But I had to wait for an appointment. By that time you could see that they did not feel well. Now they were not sick sick.. just not right. Lots of watery poop... some yellow.
Yesterday I finally had my appointment. Giessen is an hours drive from me... so it was ok. So glad I covered the seat with a large garbage bag. The diarrhea would have gotten the seat dirty. That wouldn't have been a good thing! They got their first dosage around noon and later while I was cleaning the coop, I could see a difference already. The poop is better... they have more energy. I imagine they will grow some more now... the roosters already fight more (like they're supposed to for young rooster). Makes me happy!! Relieved.
So after the coccidia treatment they will get the de-wormer. Then the coop will get cleaned out again... and hopefully things will be fine.
The good thing is, not one of my young chicks died.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

@abpatchy
So good to hear that you have become one with your chickens! You have mastered task #1 on becoming a Jedi Chicken Master! ;)
Better yet that after only one dose, they were improving! Can I ask what they charged you? Luckily, I have not had any medical problems yet.
And you don't have a travel cage for your car? I can see you.....speeding down the autobahn, car windows rolled up and chickens flying all around inside of the car! :lau:lau
Ok, everyone be safe and stay healthy!

@abpatchy
So good to hear that you have become one with your chickens! You have mastered task #1 on becoming a Jedi Chicken Master! ;)
Better yet that after only one dose, they were improving! Can I ask what they charged you? Luckily, I have not had any medical problems yet.
And you don't have a travel cage for your car? I can see you.....speeding down the autobahn, car windows rolled up and chickens flying all around inside of the car! :lau:lau
Ok, everyone be safe and stay healthy!
hahaha... yes, I do have a cage. As a matter of fact it is a dog cage. I also have one of those wooden carriers for poultry. Go to amazon and enter "Hundekäfig".. those black wire things with a tray in the bottom.
Our breeding club is in the Förderverein for the University Animal Clinic in Giessen... So we get the poop checked for free. All in all it was like 50 Euros... they charged for filling and all the syringes... the check for the chickens (because yes they did a quick check up outside, thanks to corona) and the meds. Oh yes.. taxes...that too! :thall in all it was 50 Euros and a few cents. The coccidia medication running around 22 Euros. So next year I will be getting coccidia immunization one way or another. If nothing else my breeder friend by Nuremberg has access to it thru her club. I will take them there if I have to. But yes, you should have them (the poop actually) every now and then.

Me a Jedi? LOL No I was just spending time with them trying to figure out which ones is looking promising... which ones will be going. I want to see how they develop so I know for the coming years. I doubt that I would have noticed it if I wouldn't do that.

So, tomatos and peppers are in the ground. I was busy this morning... and after the garden I went back to the chickens to fill up their water with regular water...the medicated stuff was almost gone. Now off to fix lunch...

Yesterday evening my youngest chicken didn't come home to roost inside the coop. I saw her on the roof of the coop not long before closing time. A thorough search around the coop area had no success. Probably :fl she found a ‘nice’ place outside in the trees or bushes.
She must have been hiding somewhere in the run. Maybe under one of the bushes?

She must have been hiding somewhere in the run. Maybe under one of the bushes?
oh no... she hasn't come back yet? I hope nothing happened to her!!!!
Do you think maybe she's gone broody and is hiding somewhere? Without a rooster to fertilize the eggs it might kill her because she will just sit and sit.
I expected her to be back during the day... I really hope you will find her!!

hahaha... yes, I do have a cage. As a matter of fact it is a dog cage. I also have one of those wooden carriers for poultry. Go to amazon and enter "Hundekäfig".. those black wire things with a tray in the bottom.
Our breeding club is in the Förderverein for the University Animal Clinic in Giessen... So we get the poop checked for free. All in all it was like 50 Euros... they charged for filling and all the syringes... the check for the chickens (because yes they did a quick check up outside, thanks to corona) and the meds. Oh yes.. taxes...that too! :thall in all it was 50 Euros and a few cents. The coccidia medication running around 22 Euros. So next year I will be getting coccidia immunization one way or another. If nothing else my breeder friend by Nuremberg has access to it thru her club. I will take them there if I have to. But yes, you should have them (the poop actually) every now and then.

Me a Jedi? LOL No I was just spending time with them trying to figure out which ones is looking promising... which ones will be going. I want to see how they develop so I know for the coming years. I doubt that I would have noticed it if I wouldn't do that.

So, tomatos and peppers are in the ground. I was busy this morning... and after the garden I went back to the chickens to fill up their water with regular water...the medicated stuff was almost gone. Now off to fix lunch...
In Belgium they sell chick feed with coccidia medicines in it, In the Netherlands this is forbidden. But maybe you can buy these in De? or get some by ordering from Be or another country with other regulations ?

In Belgium they sell chick feed with coccidia medicines in it, In the Netherlands this is forbidden. But maybe you can buy these in De? or get some by ordering from Be or another country with other regulations ?
That's what I have been feeding them. But it is not guaranteed to work. Actually same with the immunization but it works better than the feed. As soon as this feed is gone I will go to raising flock pellets.

oh no... she hasn't come back yet? I hope nothing happened to her!!!!
Do you think maybe she's gone broody and is hiding somewhere? Without a rooster to fertilize the eggs it might kill her because she will just sit and sit.
I expected her to be back during the day... I really hope you will find her!!

She is fine.This morning she was not outside the run as I had expected , but inside with the other chickens.

I was really surprised because the other chickens never found shelter for the night in the run area. (Except a broody in the separate nesting box, i checked of course)

My run (behind the coop with small run) has 5 bushes inside and strong netting on top. So it is possible to hide in there and a lot safer as it is outside. Smart girl. ;)

Now they are all sand bathing and relaxing in the coop/run.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

PS I Really need to prune (cut ?) the bushes. But the cool shading is great with this temperature.

Last edited:
She is fine.This morning she was not outside the run as I had expected , but inside with the other chickens.

I was really surprised because the other chickens never found shelter for the night in the run area. (Except a broody in the separate nesting box, i checked of course)

My run (behind the coop with small run) has 5 bushes inside and strong netting on top. So it is possible to hide in there and a lot safer as it is outside. Smart girl. ;)

Now they are all sand bathing and relaxing in the coop/run.View attachment 2162240View attachment 2162242View attachment 2162243

PS I Really need to prune (cut ?) the bushes. But the cool shading is great with this temperature.
Oh, I'm relieved!!
There is nothing wrong with your bushes... great for all kinds of animals to hide. in and under.

Back
Top Bottom