I mean I want to trim / prune the bushes. Just shorten the branches a little. But my English is letting me down on this one. Google says prune. The Dutch word iis snoeien, And in German it’s Büsche beschneiden.

I mean I want to trim / prune the bushes. Just shorten the branches a little. But my English is letting me down on this one. Google says prune. The Dutch word iis snoeien, And in German it’s Büsche beschneiden.
Don't worry, I understand. I still think they are fine the way they are... I'm a chaotic gardener... hmmm not just gardener... :lau .... I think they are perfect the way they are!

Hey @Papa John59 ... I forgot I took a picture right before we left... they were in the backseat. Sure glad for those garbage bags... lol

Attachments

• 20200526_090127.jpg
    20200526_090127.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 2
Great works @Papa John59 and family!
Beautiful space for you’re chickens.

Are you in for a few improvements?
1. Add a bar to keep the bedding inside.
2. The poles that support the run-roof look rather thin. I am afraid it wont hold in a storm and would add diagonal barrs/poles to make it more solid.

I love you’re solar light (have one similar as yours :) )

Great works @Papa John59 and family!
Beautiful space for you’re chickens.

Are you in for a few improvements?
1. Add a bar to keep the bedding inside.
2. The poles that support the run-roof look rather thin. I am afraid it wont hold in a storm and would add diagonal barrs/poles to make it more solid.

I love you’re solar light (have one similar as yours :) )
Thanks for your comments and concerns. D1 added a cover board to keep the bedding from fall outside, AFTER she took the pictures. And for the roof support, they are very stable and strong. My son was on the roof as he was securing them down, 80 kgs or so, and when we had 100km winds this past winter, so we know it is strong. BUT we have talked about adding diagonal support bracing, for some time now. We just get side tracked with other things and forget to do it. So thanks for reminding me! Saturday's project as we have the roofers, and the painters here during the week. If you look close enough, you will see the scaffolding in the background. Completely new exterior on the house and adding a winter garden and replacing the solar panels.

So glad you found your ran-away hen! I guess chicken math got you in your counting. Another reason we only have three. I can only count with my fingers ;)

I guess chicken math got you in your counting. Another reason we only have three. I can only count with my fingers ;)

Only a little bit of chicken math.
I wanted 4 small bantams when I started keeping chickens. Because the coop I had was not big enough for normal size chickens and I thought it wouldn't be big enough for 6 (my ideal number at that time).
After the first year I had 3 hens and a rooster. The rooster was too noisy and had to go. But I waited until spring and let my broodies hatch some eggs. I made an extension to the coop and 3 pullets stayed. So I ended up with 6 hens and kept a status quo for a couple of years.

But getting older, the chickens had longer breaks in winter and I wanted to add young blood for more eggs especially during winter. I looked for a bantam breed with the right specs and bought Naine de Tournaisis fertile eggs to please my broodies and minimise the chances of getting an illness into my flock. But only one Tournaisis was laying all winter.

Because I don't want to cull my older hens I suppose I will get more and more chickens if I want to have enough eggs for us. And I like to have my own organic eggs at least 10 months a year.

Now I have 8 and there is enough space to keep them happy. I suppose they eat no more as you're 3 :).

To prevent an overcrowded coop I will start adding light when they stop laying. I read that it takes about 6 weeks for chickens to start laying again after adding light. So they can have a winter break, but not too long.

And maybe I will buy fertile eggs again next spring. I am already in search for a small bantam breed that is strong, lays even in winter and is not skittish like the Tournaisis but more social like the Dutch. There is room for 2 more if the chickens can free range a couple of hours every day.

Back
Top Bottom