Hello Everyone!
First of all, I see that we have a few new friends here! Welcome to the best thread of this website! Well I think so!

So I've been out of touch for a short time. We are rebuilding the roof on the house, repainting the house, making a shooting range in the attic (son shoots at the state level/national lever) and turning our terrace into a glass winter garden. A lot of work and stress. But I have not forgotten you! Every morning I say, today I will go on-line, but something comes up.

Nothing new to report from me. However, my son has started his own flock of quail! He bought 6 of them (7 weeks old) and put them in the old coop. Only problem is, quail will not go into a coop on their at night, so he has to go and put them in. And then the eggs are soooo small! You have to look in the run to find them! They lay them where ever they are standing at the moment!

Ok, coffee pause is over! Later!
time for you’re DS to join too. 🤭 Love to see quail pictures or even better: you're son running after them to put them in the coop.

time for you’re DS to join too. 🤭 Love to see quail pictures or even better: you're son running after them to put them in the coop.
OS (only son) joining? I think not. He's not into social media so much. But I will see what I can do about some pics. The quail are not free range. They have no concept of a fixed home, can fly better as they are a game bird and would be gone, so they are enclosed in the run.

This morning is down time for me. They are installing 4 new windows in the roof and its raining, raining and raining some more.

OS (only son) joining? I think not. He's not into social media so much. But I will see what I can do about some pics. The quail are not free range. They have no concept of a fixed home, can fly better as they are a game bird and would be gone, so they are enclosed in the run.

This morning is down time for me. They are installing 4 new windows in the roof and its raining, raining and raining some more.
I understand @Papa John59 ... mine wouldn't want to be here either! Children!!

I would love to have some quail ... if I had the space. Just to try it out... I see the little eggs in the store and I think.. what would you do with them? Do they really taste different? Maybe I'll try them one day... I would prefer to have geese... but that is a space issue alltogether. sigh
:th

You guys are sure busy!!! But it will be worth it in the end. A friend of mine has a sun room... with a heater in the floor.... oh it's wonderful!!!
How are the chickens with their new coop? Everyone adjusted to their new home?

Some fotos of my chicks

Attachments

• 20200610_154258.jpg
    20200610_154258.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200610_154317.jpg
    20200610_154317.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200610_154344.jpg
    20200610_154344.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200610_154355.jpg
    20200610_154355.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 2
Only a little bit of chicken math.
I wanted 4 small bantams when I started keeping chickens. Because the coop I had was not big enough for normal size chickens and I thought it wouldn't be big enough for 6 (my ideal number at that time).
After the first year I had 3 hens and a rooster. The rooster was too noisy and had to go. But I waited until spring and let my broodies hatch some eggs. I made an extension to the coop and 3 pullets stayed. So I ended up with 6 hens and kept a status quo for a couple of years.

But getting older, the chickens had longer breaks in winter and I wanted to add young blood for more eggs especially during winter. I looked for a bantam breed with the right specs and bought Naine de Tournaisis fertile eggs to please my broodies and minimise the chances of getting an illness into my flock. But only one Tournaisis was laying all winter.

Because I don't want to cull my older hens I suppose I will get more and more chickens if I want to have enough eggs for us. And I like to have my own organic eggs at least 10 months a year.

Now I have 8 and there is enough space to keep them happy. I suppose they eat no more as you're 3 :).

To prevent an overcrowded coop I will start adding light when they stop laying. I read that it takes about 6 weeks for chickens to start laying again after adding light. So they can have a winter break, but not too long.

And maybe I will buy fertile eggs again next spring. I am already in search for a small bantam breed that is strong, lays even in winter and is not skittish like the Tournaisis but more social like the Dutch. There is room for 2 more if the chickens can free range a couple of hours every day.

I give cayenne pepper to my chickens and they lay in winter.

:mad: damn cat, it is harrasing my chicks. It cant get in the run but my chickens are almost all day free in the garden. Yesterday it tried to get the chicks momma ginny called the allarm, I ran outside, the chicks ran and hide and Polly Wops my cochin pullet charged the cat, the cat ran into the run Polly Wops behind it, I opened the people door of the run and the cat ran.

Today when everyone was into bed exept 2 chicks, the same cat jumped on the roof of the run Polly Wops screamed and tried to launch at it and than guarded the 2 chicks.
Good Polly Wops
20200527_100423.jpg

:mad: damn cat, it is harrasing my chicks. It cant get in the run but my chickens are almost all day free in the garden. Yesterday it tried to get the chicks momma ginny called the allarm, I ran outside, the chicks ran and hide and Polly Wops my cochin pullet charged the cat, the cat ran into the run Polly Wops behind it, I opened the people door of the run and the cat ran.

Today when everyone was into bed exept 2 chicks, the same cat jumped on the roof of the run Polly Wops screamed and tried to launch at it and than guarded the 2 chicks.
Good Polly Wops
Super such a mother Ginny and auntie Polly wops. 😁 greats names too.

Do you have bantam Cochins for some time now? I am looking into another breed and thinking about adding bantam Cochins next year. There is someone who lives quit near with laced bantams who look great.

I have been reading a little about there friendly charactar. Are bantam Cochins a breed without many health problems in general? If so I probably will buy a box 📦 with fertile eggs next year.

Super such a mother Ginny and auntie Polly wops. 😁 greats names too.

Do you have bantam Cochins for some time now? I am looking into another breed and thinking about adding bantam Cochins next year. There is someone who lives quit near with laced bantams who look great.

I have been reading a little about there friendly charactar. Are bantam Cochins a breed without many health problems in general? If so I probably will buy a box 📦 with fertile eggs next year.
Not much expirience she is from februari, but she is much more docille than ginny my EE. She will follow me around sit on my lap or shoulder and talks to me. I havent had any healt isues. They are nice backyards pets and she wont dig deep pits in the garden, she is the only bird who may come to the vegetable garden becouse she wont ruin it :D

You have had Dutch chicks right?
Do you know at what age you knew the sex? My Dutch Booted bantams are now 3 weeks and I'm getting idea's but I want to know:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom