For those you based in Germany, if you're interested in getting ex-battery hens, the rescue organisation we used in the past is called Rettet das Huhn. They're active in many parts of DE but unfortunately no longer so much in Rheinland-Pfalz. They're very often looking to rehome hens (plus the occasional other animal!)
This is a great idea! Now that we just hatched three probable pullets and we have two fast growing muscovy ducklings, I probably should wait a bit (maybe until next spring) before updating the flock. I was at the website today though to see about getting in touch with someone around here to find out about planning. Thanks for the tip!

Remember the chick pictures back in February and March? Well, those chicks are almost grown. There is a picture of a Bielefelder hen as well as one rooster. He is my biggest hope! Nice comb, very quiet and very good size.
Although I should not really get any more chickens for some time, I was admiring the Bielefelders in your pictures for a few days. It had me wondering....where are the "chicken shows" (I think you mentioned) in Germany? It's probably dangerous for me to go to a place where beautiful chickens are showcased because I am limited in coop space, but it could also be an amazing trip for learning more about different breeds. I only know about a "Viehmarkt" in Waldbröl (where I had very good experience) and some local poultry breeders. However, a local breeder recently provided no-breed ducklings. Imagine my surprise to find out that these "overweight" ducklings are in fact muscovy and that the male is only half grown at 3.5 kg. :eek:Of course I'm "forced" to put a pond in for them. :gigAnd they are beautiful and absolutely wonderful, so I cannot really complain.

Anyway, I just mean to say that these local breeders don't appear to advertise different breeds. My neighbors say things like "I have brown chickens" instead of talking about breeds. It is probably a reason I like byc so much, because there is such great diversity and appreciation for all kinds of chickens and chicken people. It seems like the local breeders I am aware of around here supply "Nutztiere" to the community but don't put their breeding emphasis on heritage breeds or certain aesthetic features. It occurred to me today after reading the post about hybrid chickens. I enjoy having a variety and certain qualities in the flock. As the German school vacation is underway and I'll be off work in the next few weeks, I'm looking for some day trip outings that might include chicken fun! Ideas would be appreciated!

Although I should not really get any more chickens for some time, I was admiring the Bielefelders in your pictures for a few days. It had me wondering....where are the "chicken shows" (I think you mentioned) in Germany? It's probably dangerous for me to go to a place where beautiful chickens are showcased because I am limited in coop space, but it could also be an amazing trip for learning more about different breeds. I only know about a "Viehmarkt" in Waldbröl (where I had very good experience) and some local poultry breeders. However, a local breeder recently provided no-breed ducklings. Imagine my surprise to find out that these "overweight" ducklings are in fact muscovy and that the male is only half grown at 3.5 kg. :eek:Of course I'm "forced" to put a pond in for them. :gigAnd they are beautiful and absolutely wonderful, so I cannot really complain.

Anyway, I just mean to say that these local breeders don't appear to advertise different breeds. My neighbors say things like "I have brown chickens" instead of talking about breeds. It is probably a reason I like byc so much, because there is such great diversity and appreciation for all kinds of chickens and chicken people. It seems like the local breeders I am aware of around here supply "Nutztiere" to the community but don't put their breeding emphasis on heritage breeds or certain aesthetic features. It occurred to me today after reading the post about hybrid chickens. I enjoy having a variety and certain qualities in the flock. As the German school vacation is underway and I'll be off work in the next few weeks, I'm looking for some day trip outings that might include chicken fun! Ideas would be appreciated!
I like the Bielefelder. They have a nice personality. Plus you see imediately what is male and female after they hatch! But I like my Sulmtaler even more. :lol:
Well, there are shows all over (if they happen!! ) from small a local breeding club all the way to Leizpig and Hannover. http://www.westfalen-lv.de/ check in "Aktuelles".. there is a listing of some shows.
They do get bigger than your hybrid chicken. They do lay well... up to 230 eggs per year. That is quite good for a dual purpose bird.

There are so many wonderful breeds out there... a lot of them we haven't even heard of until you see them in a show.

I like the Bielefelder. They have a nice personality. Plus you see imediately what is male and female after they hatch! But I like my Sulmtaler even more. :lol:
Well, there are shows all over (if they happen!! ) from small a local breeding club all the way to Leizpig and Hannover. http://www.westfalen-lv.de/ check in "Aktuelles".. there is a listing of some shows.
They do get bigger than your hybrid chicken. They do lay well... up to 230 eggs per year. That is quite good for a dual purpose bird.

There are so many wonderful breeds out there... a lot of them we haven't even heard of until you see them in a show.
Thanks so much! Ill check it out this weekend! Not knowing if having chickens would work out for me, I started off with dual purpose bantams 2 years ago but quickly fell in love/became addicted, made more space and started getting larger breeds. I had a black maran that I adored, in part because she was just so beautuiful, but who suffered from chronic sourcrop and eventually died despite our best efforts. I also love our tailless bearded araucaner as they provide green eggs but are so quirky and robust. I havent counted how many eggs we get per year but as all our birds are under 2.5 years old, they lay pretty well. We still end up giving eggs away, to the delight of neighbors and friends.

Do you have a picture of your Sulmtaler?

In my avatar...as well
My cell phone is going crazy...can't post more... those are almost grown birds from this spring
If you check this thread you will find lots of pictures though.

Attachments

• 20200709_093910.jpg
    20200709_093910.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200629_163838_218.jpg
    IMG_20200629_163838_218.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 6
In my avatar...as well
My cell phone is going crazy...can't post more... those are almost grown birds from this spring
If you check this thread you will find lots of pictures though.
Thanks! I'll sift through the thread this evening! I love the "hat" and "scarf" of the hen and the dark feathers with green sheen on the rooster. Im surprised by how white the legs are. Beautiful!

Butchered 9 roosters on Saturday. So proud of myself!! It really paid off taking the trip down to Nuremberg to have someone show me how. Took just a little more than 3 hours plus cleaning up.
Today I made some chicken and dumplings from 3 roosters...yes 3 but they were very tiny, just 10 or 11 weeks old. Ended up getting the amount of meat of one large store bought chicken. So yummy!!

Attachments

• 20200712_153416.jpg
    20200712_153416.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 5
Oh yeah, I forgot!
I had ordered a cone and knives on the July 2nd... Friday evening (July 10th) I finally got the shippment notice. I wanted to butcher... they had to go!! They said it will be here Monday... guess when the package showed up? About the same time I was done butchering. My hubby had to hold the chickens instead for bleeding out. Oh well, it worked. Couldn't have done it without him.
I'll be ready next time! :lau

Oh yeah, I forgot!
I had ordered a cone and knives on the July 2nd... Friday evening (July 10th) I finally got the shippment notice. I wanted to butcher... they had to go!! They said it will be here Monday... guess when the package showed up? About the same time I was done butchering. My hubby had to hold the chickens instead for bleeding out. Oh well, it worked. Couldn't have done it without him.
I'll be ready next time! :lau
Were these the same chickens that had poopy butt? I hope I'm remembering correctly (there were a few posts this week). I'm just curious, if there is a chance of coccidiosis, if any precautions are taken during butchering (anyway, it's cooked off when you make soup!).

My neighbors keep telling me that older birds are not as "tasty". Now that you might be/plan to be(?) butchering regularly, do you plan to, if possible, choose a certain age for your birds? Like, would you wait until they are this age or older? I see how tiny my 13 week old pullets are and wonder if they would even be equivalent to a soup chicken ("suppenhuhn") from the supermarket. I guess that is what you meant by 3 11-week old roosters for 1 store bought?

Cogratulations!! That is indeed a lot of chickens to butcher and clean up in that time period! I've done a lot less in 3 hours on a Saturday!;) Looking forward to hearing about your comparison experiences with using the cone. :D

Were these the same chickens that had poopy butt? I hope I'm remembering correctly (there were a few posts this week). I'm just curious, if there is a chance of coccidiosis, if any precautions are taken during butchering (anyway, it's cooked off when you make soup!).

My neighbors keep telling me that older birds are not as "tasty". Now that you might be/plan to be(?) butchering regularly, do you plan to, if possible, choose a certain age for your birds? Like, would you wait until they are this age or older? I see how tiny my 13 week old pullets are and wonder if they would even be equivalent to a soup chicken ("suppenhuhn") from the supermarket. I guess that is what you meant by 3 11-week old roosters for 1 store bought?

Cogratulations!! That is indeed a lot of chickens to butcher and clean up in that time period! I've done a lot less in 3 hours on a Saturday!;) Looking forward to hearing about your comparison experiences with using the cone. :D
Hey, no not the same roosters. I butchered them last week I think? So far no more poopy butt chickens. They were all doing well... normal poop. Well, coccidia is in the guts... so when you remove the guts it is "gone". There is really nothing you need to worry about. Now I didn't want to use the poopy butt ones for food...

Actually the older birds are tasty... Of course a hybrid wouldn't because they put so much into egg laying. They get rather tough. This spring I butchered a 2 year old rooster. The flavor was very intensive... like chicken just stronger. It took longer for him to get cooked thru... but he was just as tender. The older the bird the longer you want to cook them or use the low temperature methode. When they are about 8-9 month old they are still very tender...

For soup I usually use a regular chicken not a soup chicken. I don't think they taste very good. So when I use one of those the amount of meat I get is about what those 3 roosters got me. Yes, that is small... but it also depends on the breed you have. The smallest rooster weight 800g all ready to be cooked up. But of course they are no broilers... not as much meat to them . My Sulmtaler roosters can be up to 4 kg when they are grown. That is one big rooster! I weight what I think is my biggest youngster out of the group and he weight 2900g at 4 month.

For now I am done butchering... when I went down to Nuremberg area for the butchering 2 weeks ago we were using cones... not the same ones... but cones. You always have your hands free... you can work on your own... nobody has to hold the chicken. No flapping as they are being contained and therefor no blood spattering. Not a lot of mess that you need to clean up.

Age... well since I am limited in space I would butcher the first ones at around 10 to 11 weeks. Not wait until they are bigger like I did before... I have to feed them... they use up space and keep the whole flock from growing properly. You can watch them have a growth spurt when there is more space. Yes, they are small but they are easier to pluck. My bigger roosters were about 17 weeks old and they were getting lots of new feathers... Once they are feathered it's all good... but they had black spots because of black feathers growing... and you have to pop them like a pimple... it's till liquid. It does not look very appetizing if you know what I mean. The little roosters were just between growing feathers.. they cleaned up nicely. So the ones with the bad combs or other issue I would get rid of.. the others butcher maybe later.... still learning... so I am not sure about how I will work that next year.

Back
Top Bottom