Hi all! I just joined and thought I'd come say hi :)
I'm from the Netherlands!

Were putting the final touches on our coop and run this week and are getting our first chickens soon! Starting with some bantams, if we get rescues, but eventually want to get some larger breed. We live out in the woods and despite our run being pretty well-sealed off, I worry a marten might get in and kill those tiny little bantams! Plus there's not a ton of meat on most of them, and we do intend to eat some of them in the future.
Welcome!:welcome

I had bantams to start and I thought they really were a bit too tiny to eat. But maybe if you butchered a few at a time (see @abpatchy posts from the last few weeks on butchering small/young birds). We got bantams thinking that if this whole chicken thing didnt work out, we could eat them. We asked for breeds that wouldn't be big flyers but had huge personalities and got a wyandotte and welsumer. Eventually they turned out to be lap chickens, almost even therapy chickens, ultimately making us just absolutely fall in love with chickens and need more and more! Couldn't eat them then... But, we then went for larger breeds at the next "round" of chicken buying. hehehe...The smaller bantam eggs are very tasty and sometimes we just add 2 if 1 is called for in a baking recipe. The kids think the soft boiled bantam eggs are perfect for them at breakfast. People love how cute the bantam eggs are, I can't really explain it. Anyway, this year, we hatched with the remaining bantam (we started with 2, one died of coccidiosis related anemia) and a normal sized rooster. Those chicks/assumed-pullets are currently now bigger than their mom! So, if you're considering a rooster and hatching, a normal sized rooster is possible.

About predators, I'm not sure where exactly you are in the Netherlands but we are around the Rhein and Sieg rivers. We have a few pesky Martens around who are currently wreaking havoc on our cars and flocks. But most people have their chickens in concrete barn enclosures and are safe. I have mine in Eglu coops at night that are in a larger enclosure. What kind of coop are you putting together? I got the great advice not to use staples when putting the fencing in but rather screws, as it is almost impossible for a critter to detach the fence from the wooden frame if it's screwed in. Please look into if you have any fox there. Just yesterday, I was talking to a local biologist who is doing EU species reintroduction programs in our area, bringing lots of formerly native birds back. If anyone would know about if my ducks can sleep outside at night, it would be him. But, before I could even ask him if he thought my beta-fence, netted in enclosure would be good enough for Martens, he said FOX. He says that his neighbor just lost 10 chickens in a single night from a fox. I dont know how they were housed but he said that especially due to the reduced hunting from corona times (though he claims they were still shooting fox a bit), there are several fox lurking around look for chicken feasts at night. We only saw one a year ago, and the dog swiftly scared it off. A German byc member from cologne but who currently lives in the US, told me that there was a fledgling raccoon population to the west of the Rhein between Bonn and Cologne. So please do check for fox and raccoons! I think that they might be craftier than Martens, though either way, once a predator is around, they are dangerous/deadly all the same!

:welcome Welcome to this thread @LoreWalker !!!

I am getting ready to build small coops and runs for each rooster (or do seperate single chickens or for breeding one rooster with just one hen) so I was looking for ideas. Check youtube for preditorproof chicken coops... there are some really good tips.

There is a breeder in our club who says.. meat is meat...people are starving in this world... it would be a shame to throw away meat (meaning chickens). He is breeding bantam Barnevelder and he butchers them. He's got a point.

Thanks so much!
I do agree the bantams are too small to eat... I bet they'd be great for making stock though, if you put in a couple.
...Or the dogs might enjoy them 😳 they get raw chicken wings/necks/carcasses on the reg... They deserve it after a hard day's work of herding sheep! But no plans to eat them until we have "replacements" anyway, and that won't be until next spring at least.

Eventually I'd love large wyandottes... Maybe even Australorps or Brahmas. I love BIG chickens! :D The boyfriend has his heart set on getting a silkie, as he always had 1 or 2 growing up, for hatching chicks. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a bunch of different breeds. There's simply too many beautiful chickens!

We do get foxes here (Arnhem area, and we live in the middle of the woods), thankfully no raccoons. Though with 2 dogs roaming around I doubt they really dare go into the yard too often if at all, anyway. Still, they are a risk for sure. Our coop and run used to be a shed, so we had to get creative. The walls are over 2 meters tall and 2 sides are built with clear corrugated sheets with mesh vents above it (for ventilation). It has a solid roof over the entire thing. The whole run and coop has tile floors (against digging into it from the outside) that we'll put a thick layer of woodchips on top of.

I'll take some pictures once we finish up the entire thing! The coop's about 2x2m and the adjecent run is 2x4.5m with plans to build a fully fenced off outdoor area they can roam all day, in the year to come. They can be out in the yard when we're home (several days a week), there's plenty of space and lots of bugs to catch.

I'm excited to finally get a flock of my own!

Welcome!:welcome

I had bantams to start and I thought they really were a bit too tiny to eat. But maybe if you butchered a few at a time (see @abpatchy posts from the last few weeks on butchering small/young birds). We got bantams thinking that if this whole chicken thing didnt work out, we could eat them. We asked for breeds that wouldn't be big flyers but had huge personalities and got a wyandotte and welsumer. Eventually they turned out to be lap chickens, almost even therapy chickens, ultimately making us just absolutely fall in love with chickens and need more and more! Couldn't eat them then... But, we then went for larger breeds at the next "round" of chicken buying. hehehe...The smaller bantam eggs are very tasty and sometimes we just add 2 if 1 is called for in a baking recipe. The kids think the soft boiled bantam eggs are perfect for them at breakfast. People love how cute the bantam eggs are, I can't really explain it. Anyway, this year, we hatched with the remaining bantam (we started with 2, one died of coccidiosis related anemia) and a normal sized rooster. Those chicks/assumed-pullets are currently now bigger than their mom! So, if you're considering a rooster and hatching, a normal sized rooster is possible.

About predators, I'm not sure where exactly you are in the Netherlands but we are around the Rhein and Sieg rivers. We have a few pesky Martens around who are currently wreaking havoc on our cars and flocks. But most people have their chickens in concrete barn enclosures and are safe. I have mine in Eglu coops at night that are in a larger enclosure. What kind of coop are you putting together? I got the great advice not to use staples when putting the fencing in but rather screws, as it is almost impossible for a critter to detach the fence from the wooden frame if it's screwed in. Please look into if you have any fox there. Just yesterday, I was talking to a local biologist who is doing EU species reintroduction programs in our area, bringing lots of formerly native birds back. If anyone would know about if my ducks can sleep outside at night, it would be him. But, before I could even ask him if he thought my beta-fence, netted in enclosure would be good enough for Martens, he said FOX. He says that his neighbor just lost 10 chickens in a single night from a fox. I dont know how they were housed but he said that especially due to the reduced hunting from corona times (though he claims they were still shooting fox a bit), there are several fox lurking around look for chicken feasts at night. We only saw one a year ago, and the dog swiftly scared it off. A German byc member from cologne but who currently lives in the US, told me that there was a fledgling raccoon population to the west of the Rhein between Bonn and Cologne. So please do check for fox and raccoons! I think that they might be craftier than Martens, though either way, once a predator is around, they are dangerous/deadly all the same!

Hi all! I just joined and thought I'd come say hi :)
I'm from the Netherlands!

Were putting the final touches on our coop and run this week and are getting our first chickens soon! Starting with some bantams, if we get rescues, but eventually want to get some larger breed. We live out in the woods and despite our run being pretty well-sealed off, I worry a marten might get in and kill those tiny little bantams! Plus there's not a ton of meat on most of them, and we do intend to eat some of them in the future.
Hi Lore, welkom bij the Peeps. I live quit near (20 km) to where you live.

I don't think the size makes a difference in being taken by marters. It’s mainly how safe you made the coop with hwc (volieregaas) and that the chickens are safely locked up from dust till dawn. In general the flighty chickens (hoenders) do better then the round shaped and broiler type chickens if they have to flee for predators. So it also depends how you like to keep you're chickens. Free range, in a open fence or in a caged fence.

If you want keep chickens for dual purpose you best search for dual purpose or at least medium sized chickens to make a good choice.

It's the tenth day for my eggs folks! I candled them all at 6 days and the one I thought was infertile, was indeed so. I just candled only that egg today and saw it was just a yolker, so I removed it. So I'm down to 12 eggs now.

Last night I had to scoop up all my chickens and put them in the coop. I don't know how it happened, but one of them closed the gate to the run, so they were planning on roosting on the terrace furniture and the little ones had decided, under the Yew hedge for them. The only ones actually in the coop sleeping, were the old rooster and hen. What an ordeal in the rain and darkness, with only a torch. Anyway I got them all safe and back in the coop, though they protested like I was murdering them, and there is me just trying to save their lives. One of the Sussex roosters could not be caught, so I let him take his chances. He woke me up at dawn crowing under my window, so he's just fine. I'm not doing that again, so I've put a block by the gate to stop this chicken nonsense. 🤦‍♀️

Coop update!

Someone nearby-ish was looking to rehome some of their chickens, as they have quite a lot of them, all sorts of breeds. We're going over there on Sunday to pick some residents for our coop! I'm super excited, and might be calling in for help on figuring out what breeds we end up getting.
In short: We're getting our chickens sooner than expected! :love

It's been a while, but I have been reading along.
Hello to the newcomers :frow
@ abpatchy how many birds do you plan to have? I would love the option to make breeding groups. But I am in restriction of room and sound.
I finished the coop
20200718_082437.jpg

Its not the clearest picture but I love it, made from all the leftovers that we had, it has 2 doors on the long side for easy exces and it has a extended roof so I can stand dry while I work with them.
And than evrything went south, the last day while I hinged the doors all of them were free ranging around me and when I finished and put them back in the run I had 6 out of 7 chicks. 1 never to be found again. The next day 4 chicks were sad in a corner with Polly, it was coccidose, Ive lost Polly and 1 chick, the other 3 chicks Ive nurtured back to helth. Next weekend Ginny my EE wil move away with her 2 sons, so instead of 4 I will have 3 pullets. 20200718_082514.jpg
The 3 pullets. 20200716_113825.jpg
And my nicest rooster

Coop update!

Someone nearby-ish was looking to rehome some of their chickens, as they have quite a lot of them, all sorts of breeds. We're going over there on Sunday to pick some residents for our coop! I'm super excited, and might be calling in for help on figuring out what breeds we end up getting.
In short: We're getting our chickens sooner than expected! :love
Yay!! How exciting! I wanted to write about your coop setup earlier but have gotten bogged down with juggling work and summer vacation here. Sounds really great! I like the tiled floor idea for both inhibiting predators and also the ability to hose it down. I really hope you enjoy your flock! Send pictures!

@ abpatchy how many birds do you plan to have? I would love the option to make breeding groups. But I am in restriction of room and sound.
I finished the coopView attachment 2249569
Its not the clearest picture but I love it, made from all the leftovers that we had, it has 2 doors on the long side for easy exces and it has a extended roof so I can stand dry while I work with them.
And than evrything went south, the last day while I hinged the doors all of them were free ranging around me and when I finished and put them back in the run I had 6 out of 7 chicks. 1 never to be found again. The next day 4 chicks were sad in a corner with Polly, it was coccidose, Ive lost Polly and 1 chick, the other 3 chicks Ive nurtured back to helth. Next weekend Ginny my EE wil move away with her 2 sons, so instead of 4 I will have 3 pullets.View attachment 2249578
The 3 pullets.View attachment 2249581
And my nicest rooster
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! My heart always skips a few beats when I do the nightly count and someone is missing...

Cute and inquisitive rooster!

I'm crossing my fingers that we don't have another cocci scare this year...it busied all fall and winter of 2019/2020, and we lost two birds. Then, this spring right within a week of hatching, it was back. They survived but it was brutal.

I LOVE re/upcycling! Great job! I looked at the picture in detail and can see all of the hinges and ways to get in there...love it! It's kind of fun to figure out ways to reuse stuff and keeps costs down! By the way, I can't seem to get my chickens to use that kind of ladder. I recently just gave up, removed it, and am reusing the door/gate of an old little garden fence that is propped up on its side (so that the otherwise vertical wooden slats are horizontal) to help them get into the coop. Do yours climb in but fly out? I cant figure chickens out sometimes!

I finished the coopView attachment 2249569
And than evrything went south, the last day while I hinged the doors all of them were free ranging around me and when I finished and put them back in the run I had 6 out of 7 chicks. 1 never to be found again. The next day 4 chicks were sad in a corner with Polly, it was coccidose, Ive lost Polly and 1 chick, the other 3 chicks Ive nurtured back to helth. Next weekend Ginny my EE wil move away with her 2 sons, so instead of 4 I will have 3 pullets.View attachment 2249578
The 3 pullets.View attachment 2249581
And my nicest rooster
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. :hugs

I am hoping for at least 3 roosters and 3 breeding groups of up to 5 hens. Don't know if I can manage.... The roosters look very promising. I will have at least two breeding groups again...

Back
Top Bottom