What do you mean? They dont have points or somthing that could hurt you they are some sturdy feathers at the point of the hock. The hock is the thing that bends like our knee only backwards.
Oooh, well that's good! Sorry, I'm actually so unfamiliar with such feathers and also with vultures. I guess my question sounded silly! :lol: I googled "vulture hocks" on chickens and read that they were long stiff feathers and feared they were pointy or something.:gig On another site, I discovered that these feathers are a"fancy" feature (that is actually how the website described it), somewhat like crests/puffs, beards, tufts, or rumplessness. I only became aware of beards and rumplessness with my araucaner. I still have so much to learn! Thanks for your patience! They are beautiful all the same.

Our coop is ready for its new residents! Two of which are already here, but they aren't chickens ;)
Here's a preview:

DSC_3207.JPG

The ladies and gent are in, and they quickly learned how to get up on the platform!
I'll be posting better, clearer images tomorrow, when it's lighter outside. Probably in the "what breed is this" part, as theres some "mystery chickens" in my coop now!
View attachment 2252452
What a great setup! Now I'm inspired to use some old May trees to set up a roosting area! So many possible projects!

Does the black one in the upper left have some feathers on her feet?

What a great setup! Now I'm inspired to use some old May trees to set up a roosting area! So many possible projects!

Does the black one in the upper left have some feathers on her feet?
Thanks! They seem to be enjoying it, although the brown branches are a little too slippery for them to climb properly... So I'll have to figure out a way to make it rougher. I thought maybe by nailing sisal/hempen rope around it in a few places.

She does! I posted better pictures of all the ladies and gent(s) in my "What breeds are these?"-thread, here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-brahma-double-laced-barnevelder-and.1399374/

Back
Top Bottom