I might be a little late to the game here, but I'm a new member about to get our first chickens in the Netherlands. Our homestead is 20 minutes from the German border.

We will be heading to Barneveld to get some Barnevelers.

Would be interested if there are any other Dutch members on here. I'm still improving my Dutch (originally from the UK) and need to start learning chicken related words :)

Nice to read how everyone is doing:)
Here it is hot last week and this we have tempratures over 30*c in the day an it wont come down 21*c at night. Normally we go swim but their are tourists evrywhere so we have a tiny swimming pool settup. The chicks i have are much grown and their sabels are starting to really stick out:D The boys and mum are happily living in Belgium, they are gorgious and mum stil is boss even over older bigger chickens.
20200809_200955.jpg
IMG-20200725-WA0000.jpg

@Gerritses , welcome :welcomeI am from the Netherlands, just ask what you want to know. Their are a few more from the Netherlands but evryane wants to help.

I might be a little late to the game here, but I'm a new member about to get our first chickens in the Netherlands. Our homestead is 20 minutes from the German border.

Would be interested if there are any other Dutch members on here. I'm still improving my Dutch (originally from the UK) and need to start learning chicken related words :)
:welcome and to this thread! I just love that we are getting more members here!!1

@Gerritses , welcome to this thread.
I’m Dutch , original from the south of the Netherlands but living not very far from Barneveld right now. My English is not very good but improving thanks to this forum.

6 years ago I started with Dutch bantams and became a member to read about keeping chickens without the interaction. Now I chat and even give advices from time to time.

If there are any words you like to now where google lets you down, just ask

welcome from greece!

@Gerritses , welcome to this thread.
I’m Dutch , original from the south of the Netherlands but living not very far from Barneveld right now. My English is not very good but improving thanks to this forum.

6 years ago I started with Dutch bantams and became a member to read about keeping chickens without the interaction. Now I chat and even give advices from time to time.

If there are any words you like to now where google lets you down, just ask

Hi BDutch :)

I do have one quick question, do you bother with any vaccinations for your birds? I've read that it can be worth ensuring they have Marek's vaccination but that its becoming less effective as time goes one. We aren't planning on exhibiting or anything.

Hi BDutch :)

I do have one quick question, do you bother with any vaccinations for your birds? I've read that it can be worth ensuring they have Marek's vaccination but that its becoming less effective as time goes one. We aren't planning on exhibiting or anything.
Vaccination against Newcaste Disease is required in Germany. If you don't it could get quite expensive.
Since I show my animals and keep them in a breeding club area, there are many birds. They get Marek's and hopefully next year coccidia. I had lots of trouble with coccidia this year.

@Gerritses ,
In the Netherlands you are not obliged to vaccinate as long as you don’t have more than 250 chickens.

I can’t answer you’re question to vaccinate or not. Because it all depends on how you want to maintain you're flock.

Most people who start with chickens choose a breed they like from another hobbyists, a ‘exhibition shop, marktplaats or start just random with a chicken that was lost.
Getting sick chickens comes later or if you where well prepared before you get a nasty disease.

I don’t vaccinate. I have a healthy flock and I don’t want to start with vaccinations because they are very expensive if you have only a few chickens and have to go to a vet where everything cost at least 25 euro to start with.

To prevent sicknesses as much as possible I do not introduce new chicks or chickens. I buy fertilised eggs in spring if I have a broody.

Do you know if you're chickens are vaccinated? Some breeders vaccinate standard all the chickens and don't even bother to tell the buyer. In that case you might have a latent Marek. The chickens don’t get sick but ... If you ever want to hatch eggs and the chicks are not vaccinated the chickens with latent Marek can infect the new chicks.

If you have chickens for exhibitions and you want to show you’re finest chickens , you can’t prevent contact with other chickens (and diseases). In that case it is wise but expensive to vaccinate. If you often introduce new chickens in an existing flock its wise to vaccinate too. But if you introduce only from a reliable source and not so often you don't need to vaccinate imo. But better quarantine new chickens a few weeks before you mingle them. And don’t mix chickens with chicks.

There is never a guarantee, but this way it should be quite safe. There are always possibilities something can happen with you’re flock. Bird mites and foxes are often a bigger problem than diseases. So be prepared for them too!

@Gerritses
PS 1 My mother always bought laying hybrids. After 3 years my father/brother culled them all. Good for a chicken soup. And again she bought new chickens. So there was never a problem with introducing new chickens.

PS 2 if you like to read things in Dutch about chickens, I recommend reading levendehave.nl . This is a reliable and not commercial site for hobbyists. I find the info quit good.

Who else has a heatwave or other extreme weather?

This is a report of our weather in NL (source NRC newspaper) :
With a measured temperature of 30.0 degrees Celsius at 1 p.m. on Wednesday in De Bilt, another heat record has been broken. It is the seventh day in a row that KNMI measures a "tropical" temperature of thirty degrees or more at the main station. This has not happened since the first temperature measurements in 1901, Weeronline reports.

The previous record dates from 1941 and 1975, when it became tropically warm six days in a row. On Tuesday, the heat also broke a record: De Bilt measured a temperature of 35 degrees or more somewhere in the Netherlands for the fifth day in a row. That too has not happened since 1901.

Luckily my chickens seem to do okay in this heat. But sometimes they open their beaks because they are quit 🥵.

Back
Top Bottom