Love the video, so thanks. Some behaviours are just not worth putting up with. I should have slaughtered the old rooster, ages ago. The only thing that keeps him from attacking me, are pole nets. The ones I bought for the fish pond and also use to catch chickens with. That is the only thing that terrifies him. None of the other roosters ever even tried to attack me, he's just big jerk and always has been. So he will meet my cone this weekend. With three young cockerels and one or two of the Sussex Roosters, I haven'd decided yet, but for the amount of hens I have at the moment, it would be better to keep just one, and see what hatches for longer down the road.
No... an attacking rooster is dinner. Period!. Mine are terrified of the net as well... the drama!!!
I would keep two roosters for the simple fact that the one you picked might not fertilize or the hens might not like him. His offspring might not be of good quality. It's always good to have a back up rooster. He can go into the freezer later on.

I am actually picking this one now. He is the best with the hens, the one I wanted will not be a good fit, he is too timid and I don't think he will ever find his place, and the one with the most yellowing will also go.

Attachments

• 20200827_173700.jpg
    20200827_173700.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 3
Just wanted to share, I’m very pleased with the some of the major plans / goals of the EU. 😁
Europe is planning to save the planet for catastrophic global warming. One of the plans are to set taxes on kerosine (airplanes) and have goals for the future (or should I say A future). Love it 😻.
Now I hope the other polluting countries will follow. :fl
Of topic. But more important then all the chickens in the world.

I did it! I slaughtered for the first time all on my own. So here's how it went. First I had already placed the dog carrier in the pen the day before. I normally fill their feed at night, but didn't this time, because the electric door opens at 7am, and you don't want them eating. So in the morning I set it all up outside. Water on the cooker, hung the cones, placed my catching and rubber for plucking gloves ready. Set up the plucking board and feather bucket. Then went to get the three cockerel brothers into the dog crate, all fine and dandy.

Then I see, behind my back, two Sussex roosters have pushed the gate open and escaped with a hen. I can't have them all running around watching me!!
Oh dear, it took ages to get the hen back in, but no luck with the roosters. So I had to get my portable chicken fence and cordon off half the garden and coax them behind it with treats.

Back to the cockerels. The first one was the hardest. I speak to them telling them, how lovely they are, and their good life, and it is just the time for them to go....

Into the cone, one after another, and the deed is done.

Attachments

• IMG-20200919-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20200919-WA0001.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200919_122559.jpg
    20200919_122559.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 1
@Erba and @abpatchy
I really like to have a thread for Europeans. Partly because we are having other breeds, diseases and regulations in the EU as in the USA. And also because it’s nice to have a subgroup to support each other and to share our experiences.

But to be honest. I am not at all interested in a discussion about culling chickens. It’s rather specific and there are threads on BYC who discuss these matter with more people involved. I do miss the other discussions, people and questions like we had here before.

So here is my request. If you like to chat away with one person on a very specific subject, do it by posting. If you are interested in things that are very specific or if you have questions/like to discuss about things that are the same in EU as in the USA search for a topic on that specific matter.

🙏

But please do post to tell about you’re chicks, you’re flock, housing, weirdness of you're chickens, And specific EU things.

You don't have to read the posts here, you don't like. Like I don't believe the EU has really made any effort. Kerosine taxing is just another ongoing money grab from the EU in the name of climate hysteria. What is really is great, is that Germany is moving forward with a total ban on male chick shredding... read or ignore it, it's up to you. But I am not going to stop posting, because you feel offended by it.

You don't have to read the posts here, you don't like. Like I don't believe the EU has really made any effort. Kerosine taxing is just another ongoing money grab from the EU in the name of climate hysteria. What is really is great, is that Germany is moving forward with a total ban on male chick shredding... read or ignore it, it's up to you. But I am not going to stop posting, because you feel offended by it.
Great to ban chick 🐥 shredding in the future.
A good step ahead. imo it would be even better to ban all factory farming with animal abuse and go towards a system where only poison free feed is allowed. Where circumstances to live are way better as in the average factory farm right now. And of course forbid import from countries with less regulations.

You are right . The EU hasn’t done much in the past to save our planet. But they developed great plans to decrease the greenhouse /NOx pollution. Taxes for kerosine ✈️ is just one of them. Improving train 🚂 connections between countries is another one. Planting trees 🌲 helps too.

Climate change is not a kind of hysteria. Ask the people in Australia and the US west coast about the increase of fires. Ask meteorologists about the increase of hurricanes, floods and draughts all over the world. Ask biologists about extreme insect plagues. It’s proven the climate change is one of the causes in many of the vast catastrofes in the last decade.

I did it! I slaughtered for the first time all on my own. So here's how it went. First I had already placed the dog carrier in the pen the day before. I normally fill their feed at night, but didn't this time, because the electric door opens at 7am, and you don't want them eating. So in the morning I set it all up outside. Water on the cooker, hung the cones, placed my catching and rubber for plucking gloves ready. Set up the plucking board and feather bucket. Then went to get the three cockerel brothers into the dog crate, all fine and dandy.

Then I see, behind my back, two Sussex roosters have pushed the gate open and escaped with a hen. I can't have them all running around watching me!!
Oh dear, it took ages to get the hen back in, but no luck with the roosters. So I had to get my portable chicken fence and cordon off half the garden and coax them behind it with treats.

Back to the cockerels. The first one was the hardest. I speak to them telling them, how lovely they are, and their good life, and it is just the time for them to go....

Into the cone, one after another, and the deed is done.
Nice job!!! So how did you like it dealing with the cones?
I tell mine that they almost made it and sometimes hold their eyes closed to calm them down.

Just as advise... take all the innards out before you butcher the next one. The gut tissue starts breaking down after about 20 minutes.

@BDutch I am sorry you feel offended by butchering stories. But if you keep chickens that is just the way it is. In nature roosters fight until the weaker ones are dead. I see how mine fight and they grew up together. Not everybody has the luck to be able to find roosters a new home. This year I sold 3 (probably)... and that is like winning the lottery 3 times over! I count myself lucky.
My roosters are really lucky! They had a nice home... a run to run around in and scratch, dust bathe and even felt the rain. They didn't get shipped, cramped inside a transport box ,half way around the country (or further) to get butchered. They thought nothing of it when I picked them up... and then it is over very quickly. So they had a nice life and a quick death without suffering.
I understand that some people don't like to see a butchering. But all that is ever shown here the chickens just like you see in every grocery store. We do need to share those stories for our own sake. Butchering is not a happy thing. It's never easy.

Great to ban chick 🐥 shredding in the future.
A good step ahead. imo it would be even better to ban all factory farming with animal abuse and go towards a system where only poison free feed is allowed. Where circumstances to live are way better as in the average factory farm right now. And of course forbid import from countries with less regulations.

You are right . The EU hasn’t done much in the past to save our planet. But they developed great plans to decrease the greenhouse /NOx pollution. Taxes for kerosine ✈ is just one of them. Improving train 🚂 connections between countries is another one. Planting trees 🌲 helps too.

Climate change is not a kind of hysteria. Ask the people in Australia and the US west coast about the increase of fires. Ask meteorologists about the increase of hurricanes, floods and draughts all over the world. Ask biologists about extreme insect plagues. It’s proven the climate change is one of the causes in many of the vast catastrofes in the last decade.

we cannot be sure if it is climate change or human weather control. there are too many stories and honestly I don't know whom to trust.

here in greece most fires are man caused, intentionally or not.

we cannot be sure if it is climate change or human weather control. there are too many stories and honestly I don't know whom to trust.

here in greece most fires are man caused, intentionally or not.
What is human weather control? Humans forecast the weather, We don’t control it. If we could we let it rain more often in areas where it too dry.

Climate change is real and imo people should listen to the official channels. And not listen to people who claim things without any grounds. Don't listen the people who are paid from the fossil industry. We can be sure! I am sure.
Every year there are new records on high temperatures. Unfortunately I noticed myself in my own environment some changes.
Like with the well behind my garden. It never dried up for a long time. But this summer it stopped pouring for 2 months because there was only a little rain for a long period.

It’s true that many fires have been started by men, but the vast spreading and difficulty to stop the fires is often because the land became too dry. This is happening in Eastern USA at the moment. And the fires certainly are no coincidence.

This is from a reliable source:
Humans are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth's temperature by burning fossil fuels, cutting down rainforests and farming livestock. This adds enormous amounts of greenhouse gases to those naturally occurring in the atmosphere, increasing the greenhouse effect and global warming.
1600642795549.png

ec.europa.eu › change › causes_en
Causes of climate change | Climate Action - European Commission

Back
Top Bottom