Good morning Europe! Yes, it's down right cold in my little part of the world...-4C.
Sad news to report....one of our hens has passed away. Monday evening, my son came home and he heard the hens screaming! So he ran to the coop thinking that a fox or something was attacking them. Only to find that one of the hens was lifeless. The other two were crying it seemed (don't tell me that chickens are dumb!). Tuesday, he took her to the Vet, thinking that the bird flu got her. Last evening, the vet called and reported that she died of natural causes, but that she did have a fatty heart. Needless to say, D1 is heartbroken! I asked her when she wanted to start her flock and she says that she needs time to mourn as "Flecky" was the hen she chose. But I have already contacted the breeder and she will work with us on starting the new flock.

@abpatchy I was thinking more about Silkies and guineas.. I still cannot sex my 3 guineas. And I've heard Silkies are difficult to sex until 6-7 months old. I am also not sure about Brahmas, but someone said they can be sexed at 3 weeks. I just need to read more about Brahmas.

brahmas are easy to sex. silkies: at 3-4 months. I had a little silkie guy that started to crow at 3 weeks, super easy sexed:lau

no experience with guineas.

why do you need to sex them? most people have way more time than money (not my words, I stole this from another thread, lol).

Good morning Europe! Yes, it's down right cold in my little part of the world...-4C.
Sad news to report....one of our hens has passed away. Monday evening, my son came home and he heard the hens screaming! So he ran to the coop thinking that a fox or something was attacking them. Only to find that one of the hens was lifeless. The other two were crying it seemed (don't tell me that chickens are dumb!). Tuesday, he took her to the Vet, thinking that the bird flu got her. Last evening, the vet called and reported that she died of natural causes, but that she did have a fatty heart. Needless to say, D1 is heartbroken! I asked her when she wanted to start her flock and she says that she needs time to mourn as "Flecky" was the hen she chose. But I have already contacted the breeder and she will work with us on starting the new flock.

sorry for your loss. that is a hard part of keeping chickens.

advice: get a new chicken as soon as possible as your daughter can get depressed. she is in tender age.

Pretty upset to find my baby bunny to be having a seizure this morning and passed away. I bought 2 of them from a breeder who does 4H for $100 and the one was sick and died within 24 hours of me having the rabbit. She seemed lethargic when I first got her but I assumed it was stress and I guess I was wrong. Very unhappy and contacted the breeder. Hoping for money back

@Papa John59 sorry to hear about flecky but glad to hear it isn't contagious, and I'm sure D1will get another favorite in time.

@riss I hope your other rabbit isn't sick.

Last night I've put my tiny ladies outside. It should have been around 6 degrees, but we live on the coast so it can be unpredictable. It was -4 last night :duc they were fine, I think I could have moved them last week.

Thanks for all your kind words! @riss sorry to hear about your rabbit! I grew up in Ohio doing the 4H and FFA events as a kid.
So guess what the topic at dinner was this evening....once the weather gets warm enough for me to go outside and work, D1 and I are building the new run. We will divide it length ways and place the first coop on one side of the run and keep the coop we have on the other. That way, the ladies will be able to socialize with each other but the two groups will not be able to intermingle. Until they know each other. So yes, we will be starting the new flock. Hoping that this weather starts to get warm!

Back
Top Bottom