10-15 chicks per broody. depends on breed (LF or bantam).

RIR roo over leghorn hen? so you create isa brown/lochmann or whatever they call them.

do you have pure RIR?

What's a LF?
Lakenvelder - we don't have them in Bulgaria, that's why I was hoping they will arrive on the truck from the Netherlands. Well, next time.
RIR - yes, I have a pure rooster. Got the eggs from France, sold the hens.
Now, RIR over white Leghorn is not ISA/Lohmann Brown.
I don't know how the French make the ISA brown neither I know how the Germans make the Loghman brown, but I am 10000% sure it is not RIR + White Leghorn. I read it is a white Plymouth Rock over something but don't know over what... The roosters of ISA/Loghman brown are pure white, I've seen them in hatcheries.
Do you have Tetra in Greece? They are almost the same as the browns except they are a Czech hybrid.
All these hybrids are really bad on 2nd generation, my experience. I've hatched ISA/Loghman browns, Tetras .. the chicks are weak, in fact Tetras all died at some point before reaching maturity.
I've tried different roosters (had Light Sussex too), same bad results, weak, sick and dying chicks.

White Leghorn is a dominant gene so most chicks when you cross Leghorn+ something else are white with leaking black spots which is normal. I only have 1 out of 10 with red and white, still predominantly white.

Sometimes I wished we live on more land:rolleyes: you all have or almost so many fluffbals. I can get 2 more and than I'm maxed out. I really want some fluffy feets:love
A friend of mine got inspired with chicken last year, I have her 10 as a start. Last week she told me they are selling their house located in an expensive area and moving to a cheaper village so they can have more space for the chicken!!!
How big is your garden?

What's a LF?
Lakenvelder - we don't have them in Bulgaria, that's why I was hoping they will arrive on the truck from the Netherlands. Well, next time.
I don't know how the French make the ISA brown neither I know how the Germans make the Loghman brown, but I am 10000% sure it is not RIR + White Leghorn. I read it is a white Plymouth Rock over something but don't know over what... The roosters of ISA/Loghman brown are pure white, I've seen them in hatcheries.
Do you have Tetra in Greece? They are almost the same as the browns except they are a Czech hybrid.
All these hybrids are really bad on 2nd generation, my experience. I've hatched ISA/Loghman browns, Tetras .. the chicks are weak, in fact Tetras all died at some point before reaching maturity.
I've tried different roosters (had Light Sussex too), same bad results, weak, sick and dying chicks.

White Leghorn is a dominant gene so most chicks when you cross Leghorn+ something else are white with leaking black spots which is normal. I only have 1 out of 10 with red and white, still predominantly white.
I saw a german video on youtube (I believe) about Lohman browns... they have a breeding program and the Lohman browns are the grandchildren. Third generation of different breedings. What realy is in there is a well kept secret. Of course.. they ship all the parents and the Lohman browns all over the world... It's a huge business. But so sad for the birds having to produce them.

What's a LF?

LF is "large fowl"... so the big chickens... or regular sized.. hahaha... and then you have bantams. :lol:

Sometimes I wished we live on more land:rolleyes: you all have or almost so many fluffbals. I can get 2 more and than I'm maxed out. I really want some fluffy feets:love
I understand completly!!! I would love to have a little farm... just enough to have a nice sized garden... chickens, ducks, geese, turkey. Maybe some sheep...but oh well....
That's why I started breeding chickens.... it was the only way for me to have them. I joined the breeding club and got a plot to keep my chickens on.

A friend of mine got inspired with chicken last year, I have her 10 as a start. Last week she told me they are selling their house located in an expensive area and moving to a cheaper village so they can have more space for the chicken!!!
How big is your garden?
My chicken yard is about 30 m2, I have about 120 m2 yard left. But the dogs need some space and my feggies and my fruit and flowers.
LF means large fowl.

I understand completly!!! I would love to have a little farm... just enough to have a nice sized garden... chickens, ducks, geese, turkey. Maybe some sheep...but oh well....
That's why I started breeding chickens.... it was the only way for me to have them. I joined the breeding club and got a plot to keep my chickens on.
Yes me too, maybe in the future.
Here we don't have breeding plots like that, you really need your own land too breed around here.

What's a LF?

I spoke to my friend who has lakenvelders. we can send you eggs when they set us free, I hope next month. we can exchange eggs, you find us marans eggs and we send you lakenvelder.

I have some czech green egger hybrids. almost half of them died before 8 mo. I am not going to get hybrids again except black sex link who prooved to be tough, at least those ones I can get here.

sound
How big is your garden?

sounds like me. I am selling my house that is 800 m away from the beach, I sold another house I had and I am moving to a village (still near the sea side, about 14 km) on 7500 m2 plot. already got rabbits and plan to get some goats and vietnamese pigs.

Back
Top Bottom