Sad and happy news... I start with the sad.
One of my Bielefelder hens lied dead in the rooster pen where I kept them. I have no idea what was wrong with her. She was fine this morning. It saddens me, as I was going to have them checked at the University in Gießen. Then they would have moved to my friend Eva. She has this huge orchard where her geese and non breeding chickens get to run around. They would have had so much freedom. So I am really sad about her. She hatched last year... one of my first chicks.

On to the happy news. When I got home I found a small package on my chair. My husband said happy anniversary... even though it's not until October. :lol: :lol: :lol: But he said you need that now... not in October. I opened it and wow!!! Just wow!!!
Sorry to hear this about you’re chicken. :hugs Great husband.!
And thanks for updating about papa John. I do hope he will get better soon.

@abpatchy So sorry to hear about your hen. She had a least good life with you. 😢 Send all the best to papa john from me too, hope he recovers soon.

We are now in the monitoring phase of the bird flu, but still can't sell eggs or birds until the 15 'May. I really need to sell the last rooster. I could cull him, but I'd rather give him a new home, like his brothers got.

I think I got 50/50 from my last hatch, by looking at them now, I'm pretty sure. Just like my hatch at the end of January, was 50/50. I'm going to sell the 2 hens from January, when i can, and eat the 2 cockerals. Will be inspecting the last hatch when they are older, then deciding on who to keep and who to sell.

When weather permits, I will start building the breeding pen. I have already bought most of wood to start, but my only undercover working space is the carport, and not reallly an option. My shed is a bit too small to assemble it, so I might have to make it in sections and then put it together on site. Sill working out where I want it to go though! 🤣

@abpatchy So sorry to hear about your hen. She had a least good life with you. 😢 Send all the best to papa john from me too, hope he recovers soon.

We are now in the monitoring phase of the bird flu, but still can't sell eggs or birds until the 15 'May. I really need to sell the last rooster. I could cull him, but I'd rather give him a new home, like his brothers got.

I think I got 50/50 from my last hatch, by looking at them now, I'm pretty sure. Just like my hatch at the end of January, was 50/50. I'm going to sell the 2 hens from January, when i can, and eat the 2 cockerals. Will be inspecting the last hatch when they are older, then deciding on who to keep and who to sell.

When weather permits, I will start building the breeding pen. I have already bought most of wood to start, but my only undercover working space is the carport, and not reallly an option. My shed is a bit too small to assemble it, so I might have to make it in sections and then put it together on site. Sill working out where I want it to go though! 🤣
Thank you! I think the other hens are mourning. They don't look happy at all.
I will tell PapaJohn you all say hello and wish him a fast recovery. I am sure he will be thrilled.

I am so sorry about the bird flu @Erba ... I have been lucky this time and I really appreciate that. Seems like things are looking up! Hopefully it will be over soon!

Can't wait to see your construction! But I tell you... I am happy to be done with my rooster pens. So happy! It was a lot of work.

Ships.
I have a sick chicken. My Count Tell, she’s my first adult chicken that got really sick 😢

I’m afraid she’s going to die. Yesterday she was sick , was moving slowly, but still ate mealworms and sipped water. Her belly was a bit strange. Today her belly is really too thick and she is even more sick.
she doesn’t make any sounds. She ate just 4 mealworms and won’t drink.

She is in a cardboard box in the coop right now and doesn’t come out anymore.
I think its an internal problem. The other chickens are all okay but not as happy as usual. They probably know she’s sick and leave her be, except for stealing the goodies.

p.s. i wrote this in the afternoon. After diner I wondered to take her inside and checked again. She had passed away. I’m going to miss her jumping on the swing and begging for a mealworm or other treats.

Ships.
I have a sick chicken. My Count Tell, she’s my first adult chicken that got really sick 😢

I’m afraid she’s going to die. Yesterday she was sick , was moving slowly, but still ate mealworms and sipped water. Her belly was a bit strange. Today her belly is really too thick and she is even more sick.
she doesn’t make any sounds. She ate just 4 mealworms and won’t drink.

She is in a cardboard box in the coop right now and doesn’t come out anymore.
I think its an internal problem. The other chickens are all okay but not as happy as usual. They probably know she’s sick and leave her be, except for stealing the goodies.

p.s. i wrote this in the afternoon. After diner I wondered to take her inside and checked again. She had passed away. I’m going to miss her jumping on the swing and begging for a mealworm or other treats.
I am so sorry your hen died. It is always sad. But probably better for the hen. They hide their discomfort and pain so well. She had a good life with you, I am sure.

Back
Top Bottom