I have a very broody hen now too... But we already have 15 chicks 😅 so I have been taking her off the nest, hoping that'd be enough, but unfortunately not.... and she pecks something awful!
So she's separated in a kennel now, much to her disagreement.

If she gets broody again next year, we might put some eggs under her to hatch, though, she's been pretty set on it so far.

I have a very broody hen now too... But we already have 15 chicks 😅 so I have been taking her off the nest, hoping that'd be enough, but unfortunately not.... and she pecks something awful!
So she's separated in a kennel now, much to her disagreement.

If she gets broody again next year, we might put some eggs under her to hatch, though, she's been pretty set on it so far.
If you dont want her to stay in kennel for a long time: Make sure she does not sleep in the nest over night. And take away all fake eggs. Close one nestbox and open another nest box.
Works with my chickens. They stop being broody within 3-4 days. I don’t even have a kennel or something wired to put my chickens in.

She's flat as a pancake and giving me the evil eye. 😂 I'm just hoping it is not gonna go around, and the other two want to brood. Luckily I have younger and older ones.
20210616_125645.jpg

I missed a few posts... So it seems it is the season of broody hens now. I already had several that hatched. The last one though had two pea fowl eggs among the chicken and she was not able to hatch them. I have not been successful in hatching pea fowl neither in incubator nor with a broody hen. And the pea fowl eggs are 8€ each (Auch!) I only have one pea fowl now hatched by my turkey. And I have a broody Leghorn and a broody Silky both with 5 Silkies eggs each, set at the same time.
@chickengr Girsey giant... I've seen black only here, will search for white ones.

I missed a few posts... So it seems it is the season of broody hens now. I already had several that hatched. The last one though had two pea fowl eggs among the chicken and she was not able to hatch them. I have not been successful in hatching pea fowl neither in incubator nor with a broody hen. And the pea fowl eggs are 8€ each (Auch!) I only have one pea fowl now hatched by my turkey. And I have a broody Leghorn and a broody Silky both with 5 Silkies eggs each, set at the same time.
@chickengr Girsey giant... I've seen black only here, will search for white ones.

thank you.

a friend of mine always hatches pea chicks with turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom