AE124C2F-AB7F-423B-B836-C49E35C4B780.jpeg
Just something I like to share with you: I don’t see any advertisements anymore on BYC using Ecosia as a browser. It blocks many nuisances. And its a better browser for the environment too.

https://www.ecosia.org

hi, I need some advice. I have a hen who have been sitting on 3 eggs for 3 weeks. sadly no one hatched. on day 23 I noticed that the eggs were smelling bad, so I took them away.
the hen is really sad now, she has lost a lot of weight and she doesn't look good: comb and wattles are super pale and she has no appetite. I tried to put her back with the flock but she keeps doing the broody call and she is getting bullied by others.
what do you do with a broody after no eggs hatched? should I do something to break her being broody or will she give up?

Well, to break her broodyness most people put their hens in a cage and just give water. But you're saying that she doesn't look good (check for mites!!! )
I would get her a couple of day old chicks for her to take care of. And then feed her and the chicks chick feed. That will put her back on her feet.

I didn't think of that! I should try!
she doesn't have mites, I don't know if she's just upset or if there is some problem. I'll keep an eye on her!
Check the nest, not her for mites. During the day they are not on the chicken but hiding close by. It could be the nest or somewhere in the coop. The first summer my chickens had pale combs but I thought they were just molting. The following year I finally found the mites.. they are wicked little things that can hide very well. They might not be red yet... but kinda brownish and gray looking.

hi, I need some advice. I have a hen who have been sitting on 3 eggs for 3 weeks. sadly no one hatched. on day 23 I noticed that the eggs were smelling bad, so I took them away.
the hen is really sad now, she has lost a lot of weight and she doesn't look good: comb and wattles are super pale and she has no appetite. I tried to put her back with the flock but she keeps doing the broody call and she is getting bullied by others.
what do you do with a broody after no eggs hatched? should I do something to break her being broody or will she give up?
There is one more thing you can try. Give her 3 new eggs. And buy 3 baby chicks after a couple of days if she ‘s happy with them. Change the eggs into chicks into the night.

Make sure she’s leaving the nest for food and water at least once a day.

Check the nest, not her for mites.
Thank you! We've had mites, so I know a little about that: I think there are no mites in the coop now. I went there in the night and I couldn't see any. I cleaned everything just to be sure, but I couldn't find any trace.
I would be really worried about the weight loss and pale comb. You should give her lots of power food, to get her back in shape. Like canned dog meat, oatmeal or cooked lentils.
I gave her high-protein food and today she seems livelier!

She is definitely better now, but there's still some hen harassing her. I'm keeping her just with a couple of friendly sisters for now.

Is there any chance she was just sad? My other broody lost a lot of weight while she was sitting on the eggs and her comb was also pale, but she had 2 chicks, so she was happy after the hatching.
There is one more thing you can try. Give her 3 new eggs. And buy 3 baby chicks after a couple of days if she ‘s happy with them. Change the eggs into chicks into the night.
Thank for the advice! Yesterday I sought for chicks in my area, but I couldn't find any.
I'm not sure if she's still broody, though.
I'm going to keep an eye on her... thank you all for your support!

Yesterday I found a third hen, sitting beside the one behind the nest box looking broody. She has been fussing around the two broodies for days now. She had no eggs though, so I gave her three fresh ones. Her neighbor promply stole one, as I turned my back. So I gave her more. I'm not sure she'll stick it out though, because she gave up last time.

I also removed all the tiny pullet eggs and a broken one that her neighbor was sitting on. Gosh this broody thing is a far cry from incubating, where we select the eggs and make sure they are all clean, and most of the time don't break them... We will see if and what hatches.

Back
Top Bottom