yes, feed prices are going up so fast!! Not nice...I have made up my mind, that I will not raise the really bad roosters until I can butcher them. Either I sell them for butchering.. or kill them and give them to a wildlife park in the area (for free). We can't eat that many chickens! And there is no room in the freezer for that many. But it is a shame that rehoming means supper for someone else. But we have that issue as well. Before I give them for free to someone else to enjoy...I'll have supper myself.
I hope you get to find him a home where he can live a little longer. And maybe you get a little money out of him.

I have 3 dogs. I also eat chicken brest, thighs and drumsticks only and the rest is for dogs. that way I have no problem of having too much chicken meat.

Since Friday I cleaned out two coops, added thick fresh bedding... and washed 16 chickens... 15 are going to show next weekend. One hen ended up losing a feather while she was in the water. And I noticed that she was missing some more... so she won't be going. I'm glad I had an extra one.
I do hope I don't get too many disqualifications... Not sure if I am excited anymore...more sick to my stomach... I don't have a good feeling... kinda scared I am missing faults.
7.5 weeks until the show in Hannover... but I think it might get cancelled... not due to covid... but because of the bird flu... There have been cases again up north. Not nice!
Well, wish me luck! At least the judge will be the breeder I got my chickens from. He just happens to be a poultry judge as well...and for local shows the use local judges. At least I will get an honest opinion...

ignore winning. it is important to participate. you already have good chickens to do that.

ignore winning. it is important to participate. you already have good chickens to do that.
I am not planing on winning... far from it! I am just worried that I overlooked some fault that will disqualify them. As long as they make some points I am good with that.
A lot of people tell me I have good chickens... but all I see are faults atm. I know it's me...but there are faults there. Yes, there are very few perfect chickens out there. I guess it's because I am new to it all.
Another point is... I raised them to go to show in November and December... This show was squeezed in as the one in November was cancelled. So they are not as finished as they should be. But I'll see how things go...everybody started out at one point. I guess I will have some lessons to learn.
Thank you for your kind words though!!!

@Silkie Princess can you post pictures of your Silkies? I have one Silkie hen (black) and two roosters (one black and one white). The roosters are lonely as the hen is a hatching machine - lays 6 eggs and goes broody. She has done this ever since she started laying eggs. Despite of that I have never been able to hatch Silkies, as every time something happens with the eggs - one time another rooster, large size, mated with the Silkie hen and the chicks had nothing to do with silkies. The next time I didn't take mama out for a walk for two days while she was broody and she pooped in the nest and killed all the 6 eggs. Now she is broody again (this time under a small coffee table in the launge room), but she broke 3 of the 6 eggs, argh!! So will see.
I still have a problem with the cats, but a new trap is coming on Tuesday...

@chickengr sad you are far away, otherwise a friend of mine is looking to buy naked necks and he asked me to hatch for him, but I can't find NN eggs now.
I have a 2-month old Freezle rooster that I want to re-home.

Those of you with LF Cochins, how big your roosters are? I have 4 young Cochin roosters, hatched this year and I was wondering what to expect (I have not had LF Cochins before).

@abpatchy will you be taking Sussex to the show?

LF cochins weigh about 5 kg.

I will check if there is any possibility to send naked necks to you and a friend of mine desperately wants LF cochin roo.

I am not planing on winning... far from it! I am just worried that I overlooked some fault that will disqualify them. As long as they make some points I am good with that.
A lot of people tell me I have good chickens... but all I see are faults atm. I know it's me...but there are faults there. Yes, there are very few perfect chickens out there. I guess it's because I am new to it all.
Another point is... I raised them to go to show in November and December... This show was squeezed in as the one in November was cancelled. So they are not as finished as they should be. But I'll see how things go...everybody started out at one point. I guess I will have some lessons to learn.
Thank you for your kind words though!!!

even if they get disqualified (which I doubt) they managed to get into the show. you will meet new people and learn more about chickens so forget stress and enjoy the game.

Ok, so this is a LF Cochin rooster which I am keeping, though I don't like the colour he is the largest of this hatch. Georgio... Being lost in the fallen leaves, all golden...
Then my Freezle chick which I am almost sure is a pullet..
The last one is how we are having coffee in the morning ☺️

I have one peep this morning from my mama Silkie! And I heard the chick inside, I am so much hoping no LF rooster interfered this time and I finally have pure Silkie chicks.

On the "integrating mama hen with chicks with the rest of the flock" to be honest I don't even know why separate them as a start. I have never separated broodies and mamas and never had issues, they have always grown all together happily.

Attachments

• IMG_20211025_195404.jpg
    IMG_20211025_195404.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20211025_195344.jpg
    IMG_20211025_195344.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20211025_195252.jpg
    IMG_20211025_195252.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20211022_094926.jpg
    IMG_20211022_094926.jpg