Pekin bantam thread!

thanks so much. The roost bar is higher except where the divider is between the nesting box. Their combs are red, although I know they need to get settled. Thanks again for the info.:)

G'Day myguy77
frow.gif

Hhhhm, tricky one! My gals do not normally sit in the nest boxes unless they are laying or broody so I am not going to be much help on this occasion.

A couple of things that come to mind; just thinking out loud ....

Do they have shade in their run and some places to hide (under the coop), perch (branches); somewhere to hang out etc? If they do not, this may be the reason they are in the nest boxes. My gals tends to have an afternoon siesta under the coop, on branches etc.

Another thought could be that the first egg is not too far away and they are having a practice; having said that, mine never did that.

Top of my head, that was all I could come up with, but I will have a think some more and let you know if anything else springs to mind
wink.png

Thanks for the help teila. They do have a space underneath in their coop. They also have a run. Hoping they are practicing for laying their first egg. Won't get too excited. So would you let them be and just wait and see? I don't want to keep shooing them out from their nesting box if their about to lay.

Just my humble opinion but yep, if they were my gals, I would leave them a while to see what they are up to. For sure, shooing them out of the nest box if they are about to lay would not be good.

I may have a first time broody on my hands; not sure yet but will definitely know tomorrow. If she is broody, I will give her a couple of 'dud' eggs to sit on for a few days to see if she is serious and then I will order her some fertile Frizzle eggs; well hopefully there will be a Frizzle in there :)

If she is not serious, her hatch mother is due to go broody any day now also, so either way, I am hoping to get me some more bubbies soon
wink.png

Oh yeah, talking about going broody, you know all about broodies right? If not, that is another curve ball Pekin Bantams are good at throwing .. they are notorious for going broody
wink.png

Chicken math kicks in and before you know it you are shopping for a bigger coop and extending the run! Like you, I started out with 2, I now have 5 because I could not help but give into my wannabe mummas :)

Got a nice surprise from Pixie my silver partridge Pekin at the weekend when she started laying after being broody, she hatched a chick who has just turned 6 weeks, looks like they're getting booted out out and mums ready to get her life back! My second Pekin Penny (whos a gold partridge) is currently sitting too and her eggs are due to hatch sunday/monday :0) shes sitingnon 4 but tempted but buying a few chicks to put under too as they hatch, going to get her a lavender Pekin chick I think! Thryw so friendly :0)

Got a nice surprise from Pixie my silver partridge Pekin at the weekend when she started laying after being broody, she hatched a chick who has just turned 6 weeks, looks like they're getting booted out out and mums ready to get her life back! My second Pekin Penny (whos a gold partridge) is currently sitting too and her eggs are due to hatch sunday/monday :0) shes sitingnon 4 but tempted but buying a few chicks to put under too as they hatch, going to get her a lavender Pekin chick I think! Thryw so friendly :0)

Lovely eggs good luck with the chick as well :) wmy family had two Pekin bantams called pixie and pennypenny glad to hear another person with great taste in names ;)

Wow and congratulations loobyloo88 Pixie laying 6 weeks after a hatch is pretty good! Took my little Cilla 4.5 months from when she hatched her bubs; one of the bubs laid her first egg 4 weeks after Cilla' started laying again! Cilla still hasn't totally cut the cord on her bub who, as mentioned, is laying herself and is now just over 6 months old.

Fingers crossed for a successful hatch for Penny
fl.gif

Thanks guys! Shes in full swing, 5 eggs off her in 6 days! Shes blooming noisy when she's laid too haha! Penny's hatch is going well! She jumoed off for some food this morning and one egg is starting to pip! So everything tighty crossed!

Oscarsgravett how funny we've used the same names! X

Back
Top Bottom