Pekin duck boy or girl

backyardbarn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 13, 2009
I have had Call ducks in the past. My husband bought me two Pekin chicks four months ago. We assumed we had one boy and one girl based on the size difference. The boy is a little bigger. About 3 weeks ago the boy, Cheese, got his drake feather. This week Quackers, who we assumed was a girl, developed a curled tail feather. It does not stand up and curl like you would expect from a drake feather but lays on it's side. Maybe this is just wishful thinking but is there any chance we still have a girl?

Pics would be helpful, but i believe you have 2 drakes. even if the feather isn't completely curled it is probably still a boy. Does it quack or does it have more of a whispery hoarsy voice? If it quacks its a she-duck. If it hoarsly quacks its a drake.

Thank you. I never though to check the quack. They are both boys for sure. Both have a raspy quack.

My confusion continues. I had settled myself to both of them being boys. Quackers, the one in question, has begun to honk. She/he has a curled tail feather but it doesn't stand up. It lays flat against the other feathers. Do make Pekins honk?

Back
Top Bottom