PEKIN DUCK CAN'T STAND

Feeding them chicken scratch as a treat or supplement won't hurt them, it's just not a balanced diet. Not even for a chicken. Scratch grains are extra.

Chicken layer pellets, again won't hurt them. Just not designed with ducks in mind, therefore you may encounter this nutritional problem again. It's best to just get an all flock feed you can feed to both chickens and ducks if you have chickens you're worried about too.

Thank you all for helping! I was getting worried that she had some crazy infection or something!
hu.gif

Most of us have to feed our ducks chicken feed which is fine for other poultry but It does sound like a nutrient problem  An all flock or laying crumble or pellets would be fine but I would also until she is back on her feet give her a good balanced poultry vitamins in her water. Poultry Nutri Drench is a real good one.
I have never even seen feed for water fowl in any feed stores around me.Other than All Flock.

X2

We have to think making an egg is a biggie for our girls and if they aren't getting the right diet their bodies will suffer, I have read if they don't get enough calcium it will come from their bones which would make for very weak legs so seems reasonable that it's important they get a good balanced diet with extra Ouster shell in the side dish so they always have access to what they need.

Last edited:
Here's an update on her today...
She laid another egg today and is eating and drinking her medicine fine (niacin and B complex). She can stand, but seems to choose to sit down...
I've put their oyster shells in a separate dish for them to take from, including one for the sick duck. I've also mixed some into their food for extra supplement.

Here's an update on her today...
She laid another egg today and is eating and drinking her medicine fine (niacin and B complex). She can stand, but seems to choose to sit down...
I've put their oyster shells in a separate dish for them to take from, including one for the sick duck. I've also mixed some into their food for extra supplement.
Good to hear, it may take up to a week for her to gain strength in her legs but I think with all your doing it will happen. I wouldn't put the oyster shell in their feed, It's not necessary if they have some available close by.

Thanks for update keep them up please.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom