Pekin Duck Club!

I have a question for you experienced pekin owners. I bought 2 ducklings 2 weekends ago .. Making them ~2 weeks old. Bought 4 chicks today that are maybe a week at best. I've always raised my chickens and Pekins together. No issues. But today the Pekins were aggressive toward the chicks. So I have separated them. When I first put the chicks in the brooder box with the 2 Pekins, the Ducks were scarred of the chicks. Then the ducks blocked the chicks from getting to the food & water. Then they pecked at the chicks. They liked that a lot -- began to go after them. That's when I separated them. Think this can be over come?? Any help would be appreciated.

I want to join the club! I'm thinking about getting a couple of Pekin ducklings. I'm just starting my research. I had them when I was a teenager already but these were obtained when they were already adults.

My main questions have to do with whether they can live with my chickens and also how people handle their need for swimming in the winter.

Stole a quick pic of the one that will let me hold it for a minute. I can already tell it's bigger than when we got them on Thursday! Why do they have to grow so fast?!
1f622.png
Cute and precious all rolled into one. The growth rapidity has me stumped too.

Can I join the pekin duck club? I just got my first two pekin ducklings! They are so cute and fuzzy
love.gif
! There names are Ally and Elly (Short for Alison and Eleanor if they are girls)

Any advice on how to tame your ducklings? My 2 seem very skittish and don't like to be held. One is worse than the other. When I pick it up and put it on my lap it peeps LOUDLY and tries to get away the whole time. Does not like me at all. The other is a little less skittish and will let me hold and pet it for a bit but gets over it quickly. They are currently in a brooder with 6 Brahma chicks. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Though most of the Brahma chicks are pretty friendly and don't mind being held. They scurry when I put my hand in the brooder of course but once I pick them up and start petting them they calm down pretty quick. Except for the one duckling. Any advice would be appreciated.

Food is always a powerful motivator. I feed mine peas (thawed frozen peas), and they follow me anywhere for them. Picking them up is another story! I have one that hates being picked up, two that don't mind, and one that will jump up and down flapping her little stubby wings if I'm holding someone else instead of her. I think it's a personality thing for each duck. My poor Swedish FREAKS OUT when you pick her up. Screams and cries and tries to get away. My Cayuga will snuggle down into the crook of my arm making happy peeping noises the whole time she's in my lap.

Long story short: Peas.

Back
Top Bottom