Pekin Duck Club!

It was so nice today my ducks (the mob) are already giving me a hard time. I went out to close up the coop and called to them to come to bed and they got all loud as if they were saying " oh mom just a little longer" and took off running thru the yard. The neighbors probably think I'm crazy watching me out in the yard arguing with my ducks. Needless to say I gave in and told them I would be back out in an hour and they better not give me a hard time.
This only gets worse the warmer it gets. Got to love em.
That is a great story. Got to love em is darn right. Precious. when I house sat my buddy's ducks last year, it was easy to get his welsh Harlequin into bed but not his Pekin. she'd take her time and I would have to pick her up and she hated it.

I brought my two pekin ducklings outside for the first time today and they LOVED it! Their tail feathers are growing in and it is so cute when they wag their tails. :)!

Last edited:
The names ROCK.  You are so lucky you get to hold their cute little bodies.  I don't own ducks but love them.  I do have finches and cannot handle them.  

Thank you! I thought Webster was clever and I wanted a duck named puddles ever since a client brought one in to the vet clinic I used to work at. It's such a cute name for a duck!

It's in the mid 80s today so I decided to let my duckies take their first swim. They were so cute!

Folks question for y'all, I purchased my ducklings two days ago they're about four or five days old now. Yesterday I noticed they were sleeping in the middle of the brooder box today they are at the furthest end of the box from the heat lamp. Its seventy degrees in the room they're in wondering if they're just warm enough or if I should encourage them to the end with the lamp. They seem fine I don't notice anyone looking cold or ill.

Last edited:
Folks question for y'all, I purchased my ducklings two days ago they're about four or five days old now. Yesterday I noticed they were sleeping in the middle of the brooder box today they are at the furthest end of the box from the heat lamp. Its seventy degrees in the room they're in wondering if they're just warm enough or if I should encourage them to the end with the lamp. They seem fine I don't notice anyone looking cold or ill.

This means that they are probably too hot.

Last edited:
We just got 4 pekin ducklings last week. It was a spur of the moment type thing but we used to feed our friends' ducks. Is there any easy way to tell which sex they are. Two have more orangeish beaks and two are more pinkish. We are also getting chicks and are trying to decide what we can do for a coop and now we need to build something for the ducks. Do they like coops like chickens do. We are going to give them a pool in their pen when they are older and it is warmer but don't know very much about ducks.

No worries, the babies will find the most comfy spot in the brooder. As long as they seem happy and healthy, I see no need to change anything.

We just got 4 pekin ducklings last week. It was a spur of the moment type thing but we used to feed our friends' ducks.  Is there any easy way to tell which sex they are.  Two have more orangeish beaks and two are more pinkish. We are also getting chicks and are trying to decide what we can do for a coop and now we need to build something for the ducks.  Do they like coops like chickens do.  We are going to give them a pool in their pen when they are older and it is warmer but don't know very much about ducks.

As I know it, there are three ways to sex Pekins:
1) DNA blood test
2) Squeeze the vent area and males are supposed to have a different "part" that protrudes when squeezed. I do not know much about this.
3) Wait it out. Males develop a curled feather called a "drake feather" once they have molted into full adult plumage. Females lack this feather.

As for the coop deal, I'll let the others on here chime in. Some say to keep ducks and chickens separated. Some people report no problems with them co-mingling.
As far as coop style goes, I personally do not think it matters, but yes, they will use a coop like chickens do.

As I know it, there are three ways to sex Pekins:
1) DNA blood test
2) Squeeze the vent area and males are supposed to have a different "part" that protrudes when squeezed. I do not know much about this.
3) Wait it out. Males develop a curled feather called a "drake feather" once they have molted into full adult plumage. Females lack this feather.
After #2 and before #3, you can tell the girls by their volume!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom