Pekin Duck Club!

Any ideas on how to get ducks up into a raised coop??? I made a ramp, wouldn't go up, now there's just cinder blocks, which one will go up, and the rest just sort of stand there... Any ideas?
That is interesting about the cinder blocs vs the ramp. Hmmm.

But, geez, they are so cute.

They are absolutely precious.  I am glad you put them up on here.  Even if they aren't ducks, they have webs and bills like a duck.  So cute.  
Thank you! They are pilgrim goslings according to the lady we got them from. She had so many webbed waddling not to mention crowing birds at her farm... I have never seen so many! Fun, fun, fun!!!

Last edited:
To all those saying they couldn't butcher their ducks, not to be mean but it's easy. I think what it comes down to is how you view them all of our fowl are food first and pets second. We have a laying flock and we hatch their eggs specifically for raising for meat. We treat ours very well as they are growing, so I can understand your hesitation, I just believe it is all about your mindset.

To all those saying they couldn't butcher their ducks, not to be mean but it's easy. I think what it comes down to is how you view them all of our fowl are food first and pets second. We have a laying flock and we hatch their eggs specifically for raising for meat. We treat ours very well as they are growing, so I can understand your hesitation, I just believe it is all about your mindset.

This is why I don't name anything that's going to be food. Then they're not pets.

My 2 f&w runners walk up our back porch steps very well, but they stumble & fall when going down, or they fly off the porch. I always feel so bad when they stumble down, they usually do a face plant. It doesnt happen often just sometimes when i come out my back door w/their night treat. I put a piece of plywood at the back of my duck coop for my 3, 4 & 5 week old ducklings they go up & down it just fine, it is at a 33° angle.

Thank you! They are pilgrim goslings according to the lady we got them from. She had so many webbed waddling not to mention crowing birds at her farm... I have never seen so many! Fun, fun, fun!!!
You are so welcome. They are very cute. After seeing breed they were I went online and looked at them. They are beautiful adults and cute too. Even full grown they look super cuddly and soft. Hopefully you will be able to pet them. Eeeeee, "webbed waddling" is fun.

@danimae14 - Welcome to BYC! If you have duckling pics, please post them.

@Keeper of Birds - are you asking if chickens can pass an illness to ducks? sorry, I don't know, but you should be able to find info if you do a search.

My own two cents: I refuse to entertain the possibility that all the meat I consume didn't grow in the package in which it was purchased. Can't give up meat since I love it so...this is the next best thing. Yes, I live in denial & I'm quite happy/cozy there.
big_smile.png
Of course, it's all about the mindset & this is mine.

Last edited:
Looking forward to getting to know you guys and your duckies :) Just entered the new realm of raising ducks- we picked up three Pekin ducklings this weekend and they are every bit as adorable and fun as I hoped they would be. Can't wait to get started on building their coop, but for now, they are quite content in a cage in our living room. Two of them hatched on Sunday May 24th, and the other 3 days earlier. We haven't named them yet, but the oldest of the three we refer to as 'Biggy' because s/he's so much bigger than the other two. We'll settle on names a little later once their personalities start to shine through. If you spend enough time with them, is it easy to distinguish who is who once they are grown? Here's the babies yesterday-

Back
Top Bottom