Pekin duck foot infection (Bumblefoot)

Westcoastducks

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2018
81FD981E-2FDE-428D-90B3-43F0E756CD37.jpeg
B231F4EE-7234-4EA3-8C72-9FF917E6C979.jpeg
I noticed my favourite female pekin had a limp one day and discovered she had two Bumblefoot looking scabs on her foot with one that had swelling. I did a week and a half of epsom salt soaks and putting antiseptic then antibiotic and antifungal cream then wrapping. The scabs healed! But the swelling on the one toe persisted and now she is on oral antibiotics. I tried surgery lastnight but without a scab, it was hard to know where to begin and I cut into healthy looking flesh with no sign of infection so gave up and wrapped it up again. I didn’t want to cut in too deep as I’ve never done it before.

Hoping the antibiotics help, but I think the infection might be in the joint. Is there anything else that can be done? Anyone been through this before?

First photo was from two weeks ago when the scabs were still there. Others are recent photos from a few days ago.

What antibiotic do you use and where do you get it? Mine has had a bumble for months now...I’ve tried a lot of different things and it’s starting to get smaller I think but I notice her eyes are more pink than white and fear it’s from a constant fever...should I use the antibiotics to bring the fever down are the pink eyes a sign of a fever ?

View attachment 1581933 View attachment 1581939 I noticed my favourite female pekin had a limp one day and discovered she had two Bumblefoot looking scabs on her foot with one that had swelling. I did a week and a half of epsom salt soaks and putting antiseptic then antibiotic and antifungal cream then wrapping. The scabs healed! But the swelling on the one toe persisted and now she is on oral antibiotics. I tried surgery lastnight but without a scab, it was hard to know where to begin and I cut into healthy looking flesh with no sign of infection so gave up and wrapped it up again. I didn’t want to cut in too deep as I’ve never done it before.

Hoping the antibiotics help, but I think the infection might be in the joint. Is there anything else that can be done? Anyone been through this before?

First photo was from two weeks ago when the scabs were still there. Others are recent photos from a few days ago.
Mine had severe bumblefoot but it was on the side, so no scab... I soaked it in Epson salt kept her in for weeks with electrolytes and other poultry meds selenium, vetricyn, iodine, neosporin, etc...finally I had to cut into it. I watched youtube videos which were very helpful. I pulled 6 "corn kernel" things out. I also started giving her penicillin shots. I did 5 days of shots and then a few days later another 3 days. She developed wet feather during this as well. Maybe from not getting in the pond, not free ranging, and the mud of the run. All are causes of wet feather, and all things I subjected her to ignorantly during her convelescence. She is now back with the rest doing great! As far as cutting into the foot, you just have to commit. I thought at first I had wrongly diagnosed hee, because I really had to search for the kernels...but they were there. I hated doing it, but I am glad I've got the experience under my belt.

Mine had severe bumblefoot but it was on the side, so no scab... I soaked it in Epson salt kept her in for weeks with electrolytes and other poultry meds selenium, vetricyn, iodine, neosporin, etc...finally I had to cut into it. I watched youtube videos which were very helpful. I pulled 6 "corn kernel" things out. I also started giving her penicillin shots. I did 5 days of shots and then a few days later another 3 days. She developed wet feather during this as well. Maybe from not getting in the pond, not free ranging, and the mud of the run. All are causes of wet feather, and all things I subjected her to ignorantly during her convelescence. She is now back with the rest doing great! As far as cutting into the foot, you just have to commit. I thought at first I had wrongly diagnosed hee, because I really had to search for the kernels...but they were there. I hated doing it, but I am glad I've got the experience under my belt.

Thank you for the reply! I’ve actually cut bumble out of other ducks successfully and tried many times with this one. I’ve tried soaking and putting all sorts of things on it but had an extremely hard time getting the bumble. I’ve been doing iodine soaking every once and a while and it seems to be going down but she still has pink eyes instead of white and fear the infection most. I’m wondering what I can give her while I continue to treat the bumble that will bring her fever down?

I think this one should see a vet and follow vet advice since not responding to treatment at home.

Back
Top Bottom