Pekin Duckling Laying down MOST of the time and army crawls... Normal or Not??

Oh, mercy. We did not emphasize enough that it is plain niacin, not flush-free, not timed, release, just plain niacin.

I don't know if it would be safe to give to her.

In previous comments it said to get flush free or no flush niacin. I'm going out again to get more supplies to separate the ducklings from the chicks, so I'll get something just for them (feed, brewers yeast, niacin, vitamin suppliant). Six one way... half a dozen the other, right?

(edited to add - thank you for your gracious patience. Glad you are going to give it another go.
hugs.gif
)

Okay, let's back up.

Niacin can be found in:

worms
fish
bugs
brewer's yeast
nutritional yeast
plain niacin (the flush-free formula is chemically different and acts differently than plain niacin)
B-complex that includes plain niacin

If you have canned tuna, in water, no oil or salt, smooching up a teaspoon of that would be worth a try.

Moistened dry cat food - a teaspoon or so three times a day is another alternative.

Until you can get some plain niacin, or brewer's yeast. Oh, boy, so much to learn with ducklings.

Last edited:
I am sure that if someone looked close enough... they would see smoke coming from my ears from all of the learning I've done in the last four days. I am exhausted, but determined to have happy and healthy babies. This is a road block and a good life lesson, but patience, understanding, hard work, and dedication will pay off (for myself and especially my flock) in the end.
1f60a.png

Unbelievable!! I called the hatchery where I got the ducklings and asked him if he had niacin or brewers yeast in stock yet and he asked me why I needed it so I told him what was going on with Bernece and he said to bring her in and he would just swap her out with another one. I told him that that wasn't necessary I just wanted to know if he had niacin and he said "I am NOT a vet and neither are you! It might not even be niacin deficiency so just bring the duckling in and I will give you another one". I just thanked him and hung up the phone.

Last edited:
Unbelievable!! I called the hatchery where I got the ducklings and asked him if he had niacin or brewers yeast in stock yet and he asked me why I needed it so I told him what was going on with Bernece and he said to bring her in and he would just swap her out with another one. I told him that that wasn't necessary I just wanted to know if he had niacin and he said "I am NOT a vet and neither are you! It might not even be niacin deficiency so just bring the duckling in and I will give you another one". I just thanked him and hung up the phone.
How hard hearted and you know what would have happened to Bernece . We have seen complete turn arounds from duckling having the issues Bernece is having. I don't know if you have a Whole foods or GNC close by they would have Nutritional yeast or Brewers yeast.

Brewers yeast / nutritional yeast can also be found at WalMart, CVS, Wegmans, Kroger's, etc....typically in the vitamin and/or health food/supplement section...

Umm no. That is not normal.

Ducks are NOT LIKE CHICKENS. GAH!

For one they need non medicated feed. For two they NEED vitamans like niacin. buy this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042LA2PG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
a 1/2 teaspoon makes 3 gallons.

Ducks shouldn't be alone and they shouldn't really be with chickens, either.
That's a myth, they *can* have medicated feed.
he.gif

This post has info about:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/960093/feed-medicated-vs-non/10#post_14944445

-Kathy

Last edited:
I went to the natural food store and the feed and garden center we get our dog and cat food from, and got everything they need... the RIGHT things this time. I got plain 100mg niacin and brewers yeast as well. I also changed their food to a flock grower to make sure it is unmedicated. So, I'll be waiting on pins and needles for a few days, but that will give me a chance to redo the blueprints for the coop. Going to make it a duplex. Thank you to everyone again for all of the advice, information, patience, and kindness! I will continue to update on Bernese as she progresses.

Back
Top Bottom