And is it OK to feed them shredded lettuce
If you give them anything besides just the regular feed they need to have access to grit whether that be chick grit or they have access to ground where they can find their own.
It's okay to give them a few things here and there as treats but don't overdo it. If they fill up on that stuff they won't get enough nutrition out of their feed that they need to grow and be healthy.
Iceberg lettuce doesn't have much nutritional value in it anyway.
A better treat would be peas, (by the frozen ones and thaw them out) or dried mealworms.
Duckling sometimes also like chopped tomatoes.
Dandelion greens are also good for them. Again just don't give them too much too often.

If you give them anything besides just the regular feed they need to have access to grit whether that be chick grit or they have access to ground where they can find their own.
It's okay to give them a few things here and there as treats but don't overdo it. If they fill up on that stuff they won't get enough nutrition out of their feed that they need to grow and be healthy.
Iceberg lettuce doesn't have much nutritional value in it anyway.
A better treat would be peas, (by the frozen ones and thaw them out) or dried mealworms.
Duckling sometimes also like chopped tomatoes.
Dandelion greens are also good for them. Again just don't give them too much too often.
Thanks 😊 I soo appreciate all of you guy's help

Sorry I am late to the party! I'm so sorry you lost your babies. I've opened boxes of chicks that didn't make it. It's heartbreaking...

I agree with the observation that Pekins seem to have more trouble. It seems like they have more needs than others because of their size. I've never brooded one, tbh. I have an adult Pekin now, but they are the breed about which most people post concerns, I think.

Your setup looks great! Im jealous! Better than mine. But I have never used heat lamps for any birds, duck or chicken. I've always opted for heating pads. I make a cave for chicks, and for ducks, I put a cave over the heating pad. I don't much care for the idea of 24/7 light and the risk of fire. Regardless, I know that ducklings don't require as much heat as chicks do. Try moving the lamp as the others suggest.

And I do have duckies, but @Miss Lydia and @shawluvsbirds have far more experience than I do, but thanks for the tag. Makes me feel important! 😂

Back
Top Bottom