Pekin x Runner Duck cross. **THEY'RE HERE**PICS!!**

imsomarinky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
San Diego
Okay, so I have three fertile duck eggs in the incubator and they are due in about 8 days. I'm just chomping at the bit because I'm dying to know what these little ones are going to look like. The momma is a black Indian Runner duck or maybe she's chocolate. We ordered a black and a chocolate from the hatchery but we never could tell them apart
idunno.gif
. We eventually got rid of one because our Pekin was just too rough with her. Speaking of Pekin, he's the daddy. Any ideas what they'll look like? I can't find any pics of Pekin x Runner crosses...

Here they are
100_9335.jpg

Last edited:
My ducks hatched out six babies (without my permission) about a month ago. The moms are fawn and white runners and dads are buff, rouen, and pekin. Two of them look exactly like my Pekin. Pure white, bigger than the others and you can't see any runner in there. Don't know how it will work with black though.

Here are my babies. My big question is how did I get such a dark one? (and why is my pool so dirty when I just cleaned it this morning?)
37890_ducks_033.jpg

Last edited:
Pardygwin - That is an eye stripe. When she (quacking today for the first time!) hatched it was prominent and I was sure she was rouen but she's got dark feet and just overall darker than the rouen.

Here she is with her moms:

37890_normans_baby_009.jpg

And now she changes every day:

37890_normans_kid_001.jpg

So she's runner/rouen?

It is impossible to know for sure because of the way that the recessive White of the Pekin works genetically. The White basically masks the other colors the White bird is carrying. Almost anything could potentially result. Your Runner looks like Black and Black is generally thought of as dominant. In reading breeding tests that have been done with Pekins, it seems that they frequently carry both Grey (Mallard) and Black or Blue Bibbed.

Based on the color of your Runner and the colors that Pekins often seem to have in their background, I would say you will probably get some Blacks, some Blues, and some Black and Blue Bibbed as well. As I said though, you might get other colors as well. It just depends.

Quote:
I can actually see a little bit of runner in that one duck in the back left. All the mallard-runner hybrids I see have that body shape.

I'm betting that the ducklings will look like that one in shape, but perhaps with a solid color of either parent, or perhaps even one with black and white markings.

Back
Top Bottom