Pellet Gun for predators??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A high end pellet gun would work but good luck trying to shoot it. Those weasels are fast, quick and head for cover very quickly.

I would live trap it and drowned it. A big rat trap might even do the trick if it hit the weasel right.

I have got many more predators with a trap than a gun.

I use a .22 with CB short ammo. Ask about it at the sporting good store. Sounds like a twig snapping and does the job on predators smaller than a coyote. Everyone who keeps chickens needs a live trap and a gun.

type of pellet used also makes a huge difference...there are lots of choices now...hollow points, pointy ones, flat ones, ones with BB's in the nose

they also have subsonic .22 ammo...it doesn't break the sound barrier so you don't get that loud crack...it along with the .22 short ammo is notoriously inaccurate...trappers used the shorts to dispatch caught prey...although I have used the short to kill bunnies and the like...you just gotta learn your gun and the ammo and your max distance

I have a 22.Long Rifle, it works
wink.png
heres a link to a cheap bb gun with a 1000 fps!! http://pyramydair.com/p/crosman-quest-1000.shtml

High power air rifles (pellet guns) usually make MORE noise than a 22 long rifle with subsonic ammo. They do offer the positive of not shooting nearly as far or penetrating nearly as much so they are safer for things "down range".

As was said - good luck hitting a weasel!

I use a .177 Crossman G1 Extreme air rifle for light weight predators, at 1200fps it is powerful enough to take out anything up to cat sized critters at 30yds or less with a head shot. It's very accurate at that range and came complete with an adjustable 3-10 X 32 scope and silencer for around $100 from WalMart. Any thing bigger than cats and I use a .22 long rifle ($50)or my 20g / .223 combination rifle that cost only $200.
If you don't mind the kick, the combination gun is a great compromise weapon but it will take out a White Tail @ 150yds easily and the .223 slugs can kill at over a half mile so shoot responsibly !!!

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom