Pellets or crumble, and why?

Which do you prefer to feed your chickens,pellets or crumble? Why?

• Pellets

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Crumble

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My hubby is very handy, will have to share this picture. Great job on the build!

Then a few more photos for ya. (Or for him)

Below you will see two collars that I added. For some reason just at those two ports a little feed was billed out... but not at the others. So for the two problem ports I added collars and just attached with duct tape so that they would be removable and adjustable. Worked great. People with heavy rodent problems buy the pipe caps, and cap the pipes every night, take them off every morning.
IMG_6777.JPG

Some have glued an upside down funnel in the middle... to make sure the feed flows nicely to the ports... I didn't... and it feeds fine... pellets or crumble (no mash up here.. so I haven't tried that)
IMG_6780.JPG

Pic below shows how high up the bottom of the tube is from the floor of the trashcan. Looks like 1 and 3/4 inches.
IMG_6783.JPG

crumbles for the chicks pellets for the big girls. I mix cracked corn and layer pellets for my layers wet it down and when the water is absorbed I give it to them. When i started this they went from 6 to 8 eggs a day to 10 to 12 eggs a day from 14 hens. I since had to cull one of them due to picking, but still get 11 eggs 3 to 4 times a week.

Then a few more photos for ya. (Or for him)

Below you will see two collars that I added. For some reason just at those two ports a little feed was billed out... but not at the others. So for the two problem ports I added collars and just attached with duct tape so that they would be removable and adjustable. Worked great. People with heavy rodent problems buy the pipe caps, and cap the pipes every night, take them off every morning.
View attachment 1361156

Some have glued an upside down funnel in the middle... to make sure the feed flows nicely to the ports... I didn't... and it feeds fine... pellets or crumble (no mash up here.. so I haven't tried that)
View attachment 1361158

Pic below shows how high up the bottom of the tube is from the floor of the trashcan. Looks like 1 and 3/4 inches.
View attachment 1361159
Thank you ever so much for the additional photos & measurements

What gets me are the ignorant chicken owners who stereotype chickens as critters that only eat corn and a little scratch thrown here and there, and then come here bawling about why their chickens aren't thriving instead of just barely surviving. You guys know what you're doing and what works best for your situations and educate others getting into the hobby/business. That's why I like BYC.

I've said it before, chickens don't get the same respect as someone paying $1,200 for some damn AKA pure bred puppy. I'm sure they did some research before making such an investment.

Last edited:
What gets me are the ignorant chicken owners who stereotype chickens as critters that only eat corn and a little scratch thrown here and there, and then come here bawling about why their chickens aren't thriving instead of just barely surviving. You guys know what you're doing and what works best for your situations and educate others getting into the hobby/business.

I've said it before, chickens don't get the same respect as someone paying $1,200 for some damn AKA pure bred puppy. I'm sure they did some research before making such an investment.
Don't kid yourself.
There's people that do research before puchase, research after purchase or no research at all. It doesn't matter what it is or how much it is.
Some will research a $2 chicken just as they would a $1200 puppy. While others will buy a $1200 puppy or a $12,000 horse without a clue what its needs are.
I don't think the type of pet matters as much as how hard you worked for the money you're letting go of.

I wish there was a mill near me. As far as I know, there is not even one in my state. I buy which ever form is freshest and cheapest. I ferment, so beginning form matters not. (pellet, crumble or mash) Stores near me don't even carry mash, that I know of. When winter temps don't get UP TO 20*F, I will use dry feed. It's always pelleted. IMO, crumble is wasted more often by the birds.

Don't kid yourself.
There's people that do research before puchase, research after purchase or no research at all. It doesn't matter what it is or how much it is.
Some will research a $2 chicken just as they would a $1200 puppy. While others will buy a $1200 puppy or a $12,000 horse without a clue what its needs are.
I don't think the type of pet matters as much as how hard you worked for the money you're letting go of.
I agree, and did my research for several years in advance before settling on the breeds I wanted. It's those people who buy those "Easter" chicks for little Johnny or Suzie and then don't know what to do with it when it gets bigger or possibly start crowing. It's not fair to chicks, or any pet, for that matter.

The one good thing in Tucson is that most supply/feed stores stopped the sale of chicks for several days during the Easter season for that very reason.

Last edited:
I spent about 8 months researching chickens before building my bator, hatching eggs, and buying some hatchery chicks for my first flock.
That's why I like this website because you can find practically everything you need right here and can learn from other peoples' experiences.

I grew up on a farm as a kid back in the 60's and we had a lot of chickens, but didn't have to take care of them. Sorta kept the interest on the back burner until I joined here in 2012. Just couldn't believe all the information here and just couldn't stop reading.

I was totally clueless about protein, oyster shell, grit, coop ventilation...the list was endless, but it has been quite the education for the last seven years. I finally did get some chickens a few months ago will probably stick with the crumbles for the time being.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom