Pellets or crumble

Elitefarm

Songster
5 Years
Jan 9, 2019
Washington
I have a small flock that I feed a flock feed, typically when I raise chicks or a broody hatched some chicks I switch them over to crumble for a bag or two (about 3-4 weeks) sadly my adults hate the crumble as it makes them sneeze. With the weather changing I'd like to keep them on the pellets. That being said I caved and bought 2 chicks to replace one a hawk got. So my question is can my chicks (under a very determined broody) eat pellets or should I buy crumble? I of course want them to grow and thrive.

Baby chicks can't handle pellets. But no need to buy crumbles. You can make crumbles out of the pellets. It's how they get crumbles, in case you didn't know. Pellets come first, then the the mill grinds them into crumbles. No law against doing it yourself.

If you have no blender or food processor, place them in a plastic bag and smash them with a hammer.

Chick starter is practically identical to all flock feed in nutrients. Compare the sew tag labels. It's perhaps a little more finely milled is all. It's not worth the additional expense as long as the flock eats an all-flock feed already. It's layer feed you need to keep away from baby chicks.

In my past experience, chickens absolutely adore the taste of chick starter and all flock feed to layer feed. Any hens on layer feed will gobble the chick starter. On the flip side, baby chicks do splendidly on all flock feed in lieu of chick starter.

I'm definitely keeping them on flock feeder, I've raised all of my chicks on it without a single problem and all of my chickens and roosters love it! Thanks for the advice about crushing the food! I will do that :) thank you!

The only ones that get chick starter are incubator hatches, my broodies have the babies eating flock raiser with no problems from the start as chicks are raised with the flock instead of being separated when they hatch out, they are the ones that are staying anyway, the incubator hatched ones I sell to people that are in need of chicks for a broody that they don't have a rooster or give to a family in need of a little extra own grown food support for their family

That's exactly how I feed too! Ones is a brooder get chick starter and the ones under a broody eat flock feed! :) It seems to me like the chicks under the broody always grow faster and stronger, not sure if it's based off food but it's just an observation XD

Back
Top Bottom