Pen and mixing with chickens

bettymom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
I have our first peafowl and need help. I have 3 about half grown peafowl and are keeping them in an enclosed pen about 10x10. I also have an assortment of about 12 chickens that are in a larger enclosed pen 25x25. My question is can I let the peafowl loose in the larger pen with the chickens? I have been told that the chickens will peck the peafowl. Also, I have been feeding them meatbird feed mixed with cracked corn. If I can let them in with the chickens how can I make sure that they have enough nutrition? Do they have to have the higher protein food forever? They are really growing and I hate to keep them so confined. There is no way they can free range as we have dogs that will kill them.
As you see I am a novice new owner.
Thank You

Also, 10 x 10 seems too small for three peas...but ours free range so I don't really know about their space requirements.
Maybe someone else can weigh in on that?

Also, 10 x 10 seems too small for three peas...but ours free range so I don't really know about their space requirements.
Maybe someone else can weigh in on that?
I think it might be okay for three 1/2 grown peas, but way too small for full grown peas, unless they just stayed in there at night.

I have our first peafowl and need help. I have 3 about half grown peafowl and are keeping them in an enclosed pen about 10x10. I also have an assortment of about 12 chickens that are in a larger enclosed pen 25x25. My question is can I let the peafowl loose in the larger pen with the chickens? I have been told that the chickens will peck the peafowl. Also, I have been feeding them meatbird feed mixed with cracked corn. If I can let them in with the chickens how can I make sure that they have enough nutrition? Do they have to have the higher protein food forever? They are really growing and I hate to keep them so confined. There is no way they can free range as we have dogs that will kill them.
As you see I am a novice new owner.
Thank You
How old is "half grown"? I have 2 10 x 10 pens for breeding pairs, but larger ones for trios. How big are the 12 chickens? Who are you feeding meatbird feed to the chickens or peas? why not layer pellets and whole corn? I keep all my birds in the same pen and move my breeders into breeding pens during the season. Here are some pictures, Knock on wood I have not problems keeping them together:

but ours free range so I don't really know about their space requirements.

How large an area do yours free range on. I have 8 acers that joins about 40 acres of woods and farm/hay land. I want to free range, but am worry that they will "go wild" in the "wide open spaces".

Hello TenOC, I'm guessing the best person to answer your question is Zazouse, who free ranges on a wide area and has experience with how far they will roam.
Our gang free ranges on about 10 acres, but it's kind of a peculiar situation - beyond the 10 acres there are lots of houses, but the peas just never go further than our acreage of their own free will. They've been free ranging here for over 20 years so I guess they have learned where they should and shouldn't be, and pass that knowledge along to the new generations.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering. My peas are I guess 8-9 months old. The chickens are about half banties and half regular chickens. The larger of my chickens look like yours. I have been feeding the peas the meatbird food because I read that they needed more protein. Lately I have mixed it with cracked corn that I feed the chickens. Do you suggest that I feed them all whole corn and layer pellets? If I can keep them all together they would have the 25x25 pen along with two 10x10 pens which would be a lot better for them than the small pen. I also noticed that you have a plastic kid's pool in there? Is it for the ducks? I haven't gotten far enough to think about breeding them (hope we have 2 peahens and a peacock) but that is what we built the 10x10s for is keeping banties separate for breeding.

I keep all of my birds together. I've got chickens of various ages, ducks, guineas and peafowl all in our barn. Maybe it's the size of our area (massive) but we've not had any real problems with the chickens bothering the peas. I just have to put feeding dishes in about 6 different locations as the older hens tend to chase everyone else off. Since I have a big barn my peas just fly into the rafters when they are annoyed or trying to escape. I have seen them bully the guineas out of the rafters and the guineas are about 2 months older than the peas.

Anyway, I'm interested in what other posters said about the spread of illness. I'm going to have to research that right now.

Back
Top Bottom