Pendulous crop ? Any advice

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
I’ve posted before about my elderly hen violet, she’s had sour crop this week and after a visit to the vet who emptied it has had a thick sludgy dough like crop which will not empty.

I think she now has a pendulous crop and quite severe diarrhoea. She is really not doing well and I don’t know if she’s going to pull through. Although her crop goes down slightly it’s still quite big in the morning. Is there anything else I can do or I should change, shall I be giving her antibiotics as a last resort ?

I’ve been doing the following:

Liquid paraffin and crop massage every 3-4 hours
Emiprid from the vet 0.7ml twice a day
1ml Nystin once a day

Critical care formula and recovery formula 7ml syringed over the day.

Today I put a crop bra on her, i don’t know whether there is anything else I can do. I am really worried I’m going to loose her she’s between 10-12 years old so I know an old lady but any advice would be very much appreciated.

She has been pecking at cucumber, pumpkin and watermelon but today won’t eat anything

Attachments

• IMG_7631.jpeg
    IMG_7631.jpeg
    979.8 KB · Views: 28
It may be age catching up with her. Do you know when she last laid? Sometimes their digestion slows or stops and can be an indication that they are failing, and the only visible symptom is the crop issues. Cancers are not uncommon. Sometimes a crop bra can help the crop to empty, but if her digestion is slowing or stopping, then the problem will persist. It sounds like you are doing what you can. Sadly, we often don't know for sure until they pass and a necropsy is done. 10 or 12 years old is a very good age for a laying hen.

Back
Top Bottom