Penhen that picks her neck bald :( ideas?

I don't have a scale but if I had to guess I'd say just under 10lbs. (Pretty close to my cat)
Mature hens weigh 6.6 to 8.8 pounds. If she weighs closer to 6.6 pounds she can have 0.15 ml of the ivermectin paste every 10 days. If she's closer to 8.8 she can have 0.2 ml.

Is a vet an option?

Mature hens weigh 6.6 to 8.8 pounds. If she weighs closer to 6.6 pounds she can have 0.15 ml of the ivermectin paste every 10 days. If she's closer to 8.8 she can have 0.2 ml.

Is a vet an option?
Ok. Thank you.
No I'm pretty rural & our large animal vet says he won't even look at her. The closest vet that will is about 3 hours away

I'm wondering if pain medication might be helpful. It could be self perpetuating, she might have started pecking because it bothered her, now it bothers her, so she pecks. Like a dog with a hot spot. Another thought, have you checked the area for a possible ingrown feather? Maybe @casportpony can help with pain meds and dosages.

I’ve used the Carbaryl dusting powder to treat for lice... it is not approved for use in poultry here in Canada, but I had it on hand and looked it up online extensively. We also have pour on ivermectin, but birds are so small with such delicate skin and I remember how much our cattle seemed to hate it! Is the oral more effective or easier on them?

Is the oral more effective or easier on them?
Most veterinarians will recommend oral ivermectin, and that's all I ever use and it works 100% of the time on all lice. It will also treat some types of mites. As I understand it, pour on is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream, it does not magically spread all over the body and kill lice topically.

So if you ask me, oral is probably more effective.

Thank you all for your advice she passed this am. I hope I'd did everything that I could for her. Her mate seems pretty lost hopefully he is ok all the other birds seem healthy and energetic even in the cold that we r having. I do have a heat lamp in just in case someone gets chilled.

Back
Top Bottom