Penhen that picks her neck bald :( ideas?

SimoneG

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
North Dakota
Hi guys, I've got a 2yr old peahen that won't stop picking all her feathers off her lower neck. Shes been dewormed (all in one & ivermectin 10 days later) dusted for mites, blue koted (she seems to like the taste) and currently trying vetrcyin spray. Shes been doing this all summer but now that its cold and finally had a scab over the worst spot she picked/scratched it off over the weekend. I put some more spray on it and have a cut up sock trying to cover it. its at the base of her neck though so its not staying very well. I ordered some hen healer cream online and that should be here today but I'm at a loss for why she does this? & how to keep her from doing it? She is with her mate and a few others no changes in flockmates. She doesn't pick anyone elses feathers and I haven't seen anyone else picking on her. She is the only one with a bloody beak & feet. I did try to seperate her earlier this year but it seemed to stress her more lots of honking and more feather picking. Any suggestions welcome. Thank you.

I wish I could answer you questions re: sizes and flying, but I am not that familiar with peafowl. (other than admiring from afar) You probably should measure her neck, you want one that won't slide around. If she can get her head past it, you might be able to tape an extension, made of any bendable plastic, on to the e-collar. If you have access to old x-rays, or know someone that does, they can be cut to make custom e-collars, and work well. I think it could be difficult for her to fly with it on, if she roosts in trees, branches could get caught. The birds I am familiar with using them on, live in cages and climb, rather than fly much. Keep us posted if you try it. Good luck.

How often can they be dewormed? The all in one has a dewormer in it, and twice now with the ivermectin paste (a pea sized amount) in the last 2 months. I don't want to over medicate (not sure if that happens with peas but horses I know only so much or it's toxic) I got some pictures tonight. She managed to get the sock almost all the way off. One more question.... If it's mites wouldn't they all be picking? The other 7 birds are good.

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_190057209.jpg
    IMG_20181226_190057209.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20181226_190104695.jpg
    IMG_20181226_190104695.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20181226_190712204.jpg
    IMG_20181226_190712204.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 16
I don't have a scale but if I had to guess I'd say just under 10lbs. (Pretty close to my cat)
Mature hens weigh 6.6 to 8.8 pounds. If she weighs closer to 6.6 pounds she can have 0.15 ml of the ivermectin paste every 10 days. If she's closer to 8.8 she can have 0.2 ml.

Is a vet an option?

Mature hens weigh 6.6 to 8.8 pounds. If she weighs closer to 6.6 pounds she can have 0.15 ml of the ivermectin paste every 10 days. If she's closer to 8.8 she can have 0.2 ml.

Is a vet an option?
Ok. Thank you.
No I'm pretty rural & our large animal vet says he won't even look at her. The closest vet that will is about 3 hours away

I’ve used the Carbaryl dusting powder to treat for lice... it is not approved for use in poultry here in Canada, but I had it on hand and looked it up online extensively. We also have pour on ivermectin, but birds are so small with such delicate skin and I remember how much our cattle seemed to hate it! Is the oral more effective or easier on them?

Is the oral more effective or easier on them?
Most veterinarians will recommend oral ivermectin, and that's all I ever use and it works 100% of the time on all lice. It will also treat some types of mites. As I understand it, pour on is absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream, it does not magically spread all over the body and kill lice topically.

So if you ask me, oral is probably more effective.

Back
Top Bottom