Penhen that picks her neck bald :( ideas?

Thank you all for your advice she passed this am. I hope I'd did everything that I could for her. Her mate seems pretty lost hopefully he is ok all the other birds seem healthy and energetic even in the cold that we r having. I do have a heat lamp in just in case someone gets chilled.

thank you guys :( very sad here. hopefully her mate is ok with the rest of the birds for awhile. not sure about sending in for necropsy yet. ($250!) but the vet thought her neck was broken. :( she never was a great flyer so I'm wondering if she hit her head too hard on the roof or something like that?
@townchicks yes we are careful with the heat lamps. they are in a cage & wired up so they cannot fall. I still have some chicks in the coop so they are a necessary evil. it was about -25 not sure on the windchill but I saw -45 on the news. :barnieso I'm sure the cold didn't help any.

Have you considered using an elizabethan collar on her? Lots of parrot type birds become feather pickers, and that stops them. No guarantee she won't start it up again once it's healed, but it may help break the habit.
I just googled it I didn't know they made these for birds.... Do you think it would disrupt her flying at all? any idea on size diameter? (this is what I found) 10" seems huge but 6" I'd think she could still get her head around a 6" to peck?

The Saf-T Shield Bird E-Collar keeps your birds beak from its feathers or injuries.
This bird collar features an adjustable snap closure.
The Saf-T Shield Bird E-collar is made from clear, lightweight clear plastic.
*Neck sizes below use seamstress soft tape to measure neck for better accuracy*
Item Neck Diameter
SS404X 1.25" - 2" 4"
SS406XS 2" - 2.75" 6"
SS406X 2.75" - 3.5" 6"
SS408XS 3.25" - 3.5" 8"
SS408X 3.5" - 4" 8"
SS410XS 3.5" - 4" 10"
SS410X 4.75" - 5.5" 10"
SS412XS 4.75" - 5.5" 12"
SS412X 6.25" - 7.5" 12"

Ivermectin Pour-On at 0.4ml on the skin. Divide between the shoulders and above the vent and save a tiny drop for behind the crest for face lice. Repeat in ten days. It does burn the skin a little so don't overdo it. This area is on the side of the breast under the wing, you can see a little scabbing coming off from the chemical burn so I don't recommend that area. Best to apply it to the thicker skin of the back.
IMG_3044.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom